close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

Bullet Sorting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 477
Bullet Sorting

I've always heard that you will get better reloading precision if you use components from the same lots. Is this practice not relevant if you sort by weight and bearing surface?

In other words, if I were to dump 1000 rounds from different lots into a container and then weigh and sort them by bearing surface, wouldn't I get more consistency than if I keeps the lots together and used lot numbers as my sorting criteria?

Talking about long range of course.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Location: End of the Oregon Trail
    Posts: 2,002
    Re: Bullet Sorting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bill123 View Post
    In other words, if I were to dump 1000 rounds from different lots into a container and then weigh and sort them by bearing surface, wouldn't I get more consistency than if I keeps the lots together and used lot numbers as my sorting criteria?
    Yes, I think this might provide better results.

    I sort by bearing surface, then sort those groups by weight. I use the extremes from these as foulers. I keep the others in groups based on bearing surface and use them in groups.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 01-10-2014, 06:48 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Posts: 477
    Re: Bullet Sorting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
    Yes, I think this might provide better results.

    I sort by bearing surface, then sort those groups by weight. I use the extremes from these as foulers. I keep the others in groups based on bearing surface and use them in groups.
    Is there a benefit to sorting by bearing surface before weight rather than after?
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Location: End of the Oregon Trail
    Posts: 2,002
    Re: Bullet Sorting

    I've read that bearing service should be the most critical factor. So, I do that first and have a pile for each size bearing surface measured. Then I weight sort those piles.

    You would probably end up with the same grouping though, if you weight sorted first.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 01-10-2014, 07:32 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Posts: 477
    Re: Bullet Sorting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
    I've read that bearing service should be the most critical factor. So, I do that first and have a pile for each size bearing surface measured. Then I weight sort those piles.

    You would probably end up with the same grouping though, if you weight sorted first.
    How many groups do you typically end up with?
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 01-10-2014, 07:39 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: pa
    Posts: 435
    Re: Bullet Sorting

    I never sort my berger or custom bullets by bearing surface , I use a bullet comp. an sort that way.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 01-10-2014, 07:58 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Location: End of the Oregon Trail
    Posts: 2,002
    Re: Bullet Sorting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bill123 View Post
    How many groups do you typically end up with?
    last time I sorted 300 208 A-MAX and I ended up with 4 bearing surface groups.
    .6.12 = 6 bulles
    .613 = 36 bullets
    .614 = 76 bullets
    .615 = 80 bullets
    .616 = 100 bullets
    .617 = 3

    I took the .612 and .617 for the fowler pile. Then sorted the remaining pile into weight groups that were +/- 1 gn. Didn't have many weight groups though as the bearing surface had the most variation with this group of bullets. All 300 were from the same lot.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC