Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet seating depth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Bullet seating depth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesheep View Post
Wow, I know I post among giants when a 3/4" group @ 100 yrds is ho hum

Whitesheep, the problem with the written word is that you can't see the emotion in the writers head or the sarcasm in his voice. I am EXTREMELY happy with that 3/4" group, I just HOPE it wasn't a fluke.
Since that was among the first loads that I've tried for that gun, I guess we'll have to wait and see...
I have a buddy who owns a stock Sako that shoots quite a bit better than 3/4" and I'd REALLY like my old Ruger to show him what's what!
Like I said, for a stock (and very old & well-used) hunting rifle with a very old scope I'll be pretty happy if I can make it work...

Thanks for all the good info, fellas!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

I think I found some powder and primers! Life is good!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM
SPONSOR

I'm surprised noone has mentioned comparators when discussing COAL. Very cheap useful tool to measure and compare the ogive of different bullets in the same cartridge and rifle. It also removes the variable of bullet tip irregularities when measuring your sample bullet especially for hollow points. It may not be perfect in finding equivalent distance-to-lands measurements for different bullets but it gives a good starting point without starting over with the COAL length gauge. I use the "nut" comparator from Sinclair. It saves time and increases measurement accuracy at the reloading bench.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
SPONSOR

I'm surprised no one has mentioned comparators when discussing COAL. Very cheap useful tool to measure and compare the ogive of different bullets in the same cartridge and rifle. It also removes the variable of bullet tip irregularities when measuring your sample bullet especially for hollow points. It may not be perfect in finding equivalent distance-to-lands measurements for different bullets but it gives a good starting point without starting over with the COAL length gauge. I use the "nut" comparator from Sinclair. It saves time and increases measurement accuracy at the reloading bench.
www.no-off-season.com

Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Bronze Member

tt35 I couldn't agree more about having the right tools to measure COL to the ojive where it touches the lands in YOUR rifle. Even bullets from the same green box can be as much as 0.005" different in length. Yellow box variation is even greater in my experience with 7mm bullets.

I do have one rifle with very gradual leade into the lands that is difficult to get a consistent measurement of COL to ogive length. It ranges about 0.005" between just touching resistance and a full jam. Since this is far below the 0.040" steps I use in working up loads, it is more of interest than concern.

I have an article from Berger with their recommend testing for ideal COAL "Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD Bullets in Your Rifle" which is attached. The crux of this document for hunters is:

[FLOATRIGHT]Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
  • .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  • .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  • .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  • .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).
[/FLOATRIGHT

While this did not work for me in the one rifle I tried it in (T/C PH .280 Rem) after burning up most of a yellow box, it has paid off with SGK's for this rifle and others.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt35 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned comparators when discussing COAL. Very cheap useful tool to measure and compare the ogive of different bullets in the same cartridge and rifle. It also removes the variable of bullet tip irregularities when measuring your sample bullet especially for hollow points. It may not be perfect in finding equivalent distance-to-lands measurements for different bullets but it gives a good starting point without starting over with the COAL length gauge. I use the "nut" comparator from Sinclair. It saves time and increases measurement accuracy at the reloading bench.
check out post #10
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM
SPONSOR

I stand corrected, jdsboy!
www.no-off-season.com