Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet seating ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Re: Bullet seating ?

I loaded the last of my prepped brass and the bullet ring mark around the tip from the seater is still their but it is less pronounced since I do the turn in instead of turning out the die.. Its something I can live with and If I get sick of looking at it I will pull out the buffer and turtle wax.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

It's easy to do. put the seater in a drill motor. coat the inside of the cup with dye or felt pen. stick a bullet in the cup and spin. the part where the marker wears off is the evil doer. spindle a piece of fine sand paper and make the clean spot fit your bullet. very very light sanding will correct the problem. If it is opened up too much then the center of the cup might need to be made deeper to keep the bullet tip from deforming.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
It's easy to do. put the seater in a drill motor. coat the inside of the cup with dye or felt pen. stick a bullet in the cup and spin. the part where the marker wears off is the evil doer. spindle a piece of fine sand paper and make the clean spot fit your bullet. very very light sanding will correct the problem. If it is opened up too much then the center of the cup might need to be made deeper to keep the bullet tip from deforming.
Thanks Ken, I will look into doing that.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Size and trim a case.
Place the case in the shell holder run the ram up.
Screw down the seating die until it just touches the mouth of the neck.
If you want to crimp, screw in the die 1/2turn or so for the desired amount of crimp (I don't that's for my ARs as well).
Or back off the die 1/2 or so turn from the mouth of the case, if you don't want a crimp.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

what types of bullets you using?
The seater cup sometimes sticks a little, but from my experience has not left any marks on my bullets, would lead me to agree with Kevin. In some cases you get match type bullets that have a lengthy ogive so to speak and will not square up in the seater cup, you can talke to the die mfr and possible get a new cup to your tastes, or simply clean up your existing seater cup and see. As far as teh neck pressure /neck tension, thats baffled me, you should not have to seat so hard that you would get a mark on the bullet.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever-hed View Post
what types of bullets you using?
The seater cup sometimes sticks a little, but from my experience has not left any marks on my bullets, would lead me to agree with Kevin. In some cases you get match type bullets that have a lengthy ogive so to speak and will not square up in the seater cup, you can talke to the die mfr and possible get a new cup to your tastes, or simply clean up your existing seater cup and see. As far as teh neck pressure /neck tension, thats baffled me, you should not have to seat so hard that you would get a mark on the bullet.
The marks were showing up on sierra 135 MK's and sierra 130 GK's in norma brass. After adjusting the die in 1/4 turn, the marks were hardly noticeable with these bullets. I also loaded Nosler 130 BT's and Barnes TTSX 130 and didnt have the marks. The brass was full sized and necks read .303 before and .304 after seating.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

with Lees FL sizer, you should lube inside the necks, just wanted to say in case you're not doin it, it makes a difference. I'm amazed some people dont do it..
.001" difference after seating sounds like your die adjustment fixed it.. probly take apart the seater and eyeball the seating cup and clean it up. Clean up the inside of FL die too with solvent, keep your equipment in good working order, always. safe shooting..