Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet seating ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Bullet seating ?

Got a few newb question. Ill probably have a few more of these in the near future.

Equip. Lee challenger and lee dies

1. After seating bullet, my die sticks slightly to the bullet on the upstroke and makes a ring around the bullet. Is this normal?

2. I seat my bullet to far down and had to pull it with a kinetic puller. Do I have to re size again or just re seat at the correct depth?

Thanks for any help you are willing to offer, Jason.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet seating ?

+1 to #1? Infact I know my RCBS, and Dillon 223 dies do the same thing. It P's me O. I just notched it up to soft lead/thin guilding on the nose. I've been thinking about trying to find bullet seating stem/plugs to fit the ogive better. Don't know where to start.

I guess it depends on what you are doing with that case/bullet you pulled. If you put them back together at your desired depth, it will shoot, and will not be unsafe. Accurate, I can't say. I would think your neck tension would be off, either way. If you resize it again, it will work harden a little more=diff tension. You already resized and seated a bullet, your going to seat the bullet again, I would think less workng of the brass, but still not the same as the rest of the batch. I say, put the bullet back in it and save it for the range/fouling shot, etc. where it won't make much difference either way.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

No, it's not normal. Something's wrong there, and my guess would be too much neck tension. WWithout knowing what you're sizing the necks down to, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like it's just taking too much pressure to force the bullet into the case, leaving a ring on the ogive as it (the bullet) swages the neck open. May also related to the shape of your seating plug, and its not being compatible with the profile of the bullet you're using. Common for several manufacturer's dies to leave these marks, and most offer the service of profiling the seater plug to the bullet you're using, or alternate seating plugs already so profiled. You need to take a look at the whole system, step by step, and see just when the marks are becoming a problem. If there's any way you can reduce the neck tension, I'd take a look at doing so, and see if that helps. A mandrel die like those from Sinclair should do the trick.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

Mandrel die? For the neck or the bullets?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

It's a tapered mandrel, useful for rounding out case necks and uniforming IDs, either for seating or for neck turning. Sinclair's sells a die specifically for this, as well as a selection of mandreals in all common bore sizes. Actually, they sell two; one for sizing and one for neck turning (same mandrel is ised on their turning tools), with the turning mandrels being .001" smaller than the expanders.

They're great for rounding out case necks digned by ejection (especially prevelant in gas guns) and even the minor dings we get in new brass from shipping. Everyone should have these on their bench, and they should be used a lot more than they are. I'd take a look at these as a start, but I think that'll likely cure the marking problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Are you talking about the seater itself marking your bullets. It is common, along with smashing the tips of bullets. There are too many tip profiles for a seater to work on all of them. Polish the edge that isn't agreeing with your bullets profile, an electric drill motor works very nicely.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Update:

I goofed up and was reading the instructions for the lee press and they said screw die down till you touch shell holder and back out a 1/2 turn for no crimp. Come to find out the lee deluxe dies have different instructions that state screw die down and touch shell holder and turn in a 1/4 turn with no crimp. I did this and did not really notice it grabbing like before but I only pressed the one bullet that I had to pull because of seating it to far the first time. I will know for sure later when I load the rest of my prepped brass.