Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet Seat Depth Issues!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Bullet Seat Depth Issues!!!

Hey everyone, I have a 270WSM and im loading 150 Gr. Sierra GameKings for hunting this season. Im shooting about MOA, i didnt have alot of time to really tune a new load. I was just out loading up some more rounds for my elk trip here pretty soon and i set my COAL at 2.791. Well while i was seating my bullets and checking them i was noticing my lengths were jumping some. My press is cinched down and my die is too but i was still getting COAL's from 2.786-2.792. Granted this is for hunting and not a competitve shoot but will the different seating depths make that big of a difference in where my bullet is going to fly? Would the difference be because the GK's tips arnt all the same, they are a bit different and almost misshaped? I just want to still have that confidence if i have to shoot 400+ while im out this year. Thank You!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet Seat Depth Issues!!!

thats normal, if you want to accurately measure your seating depth you need to get something like Hornady's bullet comparator. Just the nature of the beast, it pretty hard for mass manufacturers to make bullets that measure exactly the same length. Measuring off the Ojive is way more accurate.
Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set 6serts
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Bullet Seat Depth Issues!!!

I agree with Joe. Most bullets if they don't have a plastic tip but a metal nose (the meplat will give different readings due to uneven meplats. Use the ogive tool to set your depth of seating. once its set for the correct depth, Start loading!!