Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet runout what is the max?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Bullet runout what is the max?

Loaded up some .308 175 for a 600 F class (my second one) what do you feel is the range where runnout starts to be an issue? I figured .003 and above but that is just an uneducated guess on my part. Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet runout what is the max?

How much runout matters depends entirely on the shooter, his rig and the other qualites of his reload. The throat a chartridge is seated into limits how much runout can exist in the chamber no matter what was was before chambering but that effect depends on the individual chamber and we don't know how well your ammo fits. The way a lot of us - and our rifles - shoot we will never see any effect with any amount of runout. Those of us who do see the effects of runout can't tell anyone else what their effect will be because it's not calibrated; if it were calibrated there would be a runout effect table in every reloading manual printed.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Some Palma shooters claim .5 and even .25 MOA to 600+ yds with up to .003" TIR for their loaded ammo.

Some bench shooters won't accept less than .001" TIR and prefer .000".

Like boomtube put it. There are a lot of variables that contribute to precision shooting.

Try sorting your loaded rounds into best and worst and then shoot groups alternating shots between the good stuff at one dot and the bad stuff at another dot. Don't be too surprised if their accuracy is pretty close.

In any case, consistency rarely hurts accuracy/precision.

One thing I am very convinced of is that it's a complete waste of time to "straighten" ammo once loaded. Rather concentrate your efforts on loading straight ammo.

-- richard
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Richard. I'm shooting a stock 700 Varmit gun so I kinda figured .003 as my cut off. Would this be a nonissue if I were to seat into the lands? I'm not but just wondering for future referance.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

I have done a lot of accuracy comparisons and found that seating depth/ distance from the lands seems to make a difference. The further from the lands, the less impact on group size. All that being said, I like to keep my run outs .003" or less. More seems to indicate a brass quality/reloading procedure issue. I have seen Federal premium factory ammo with run outs as far off as .010".

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
Thanks Richard. I'm shooting a stock 700 Varmit gun so I kinda figured .003 as my cut off. Would this be a nonissue if I were to seat into the lands? I'm not but just wondering for future referance.
Ideal seating depth is an important part of load development.

I don't think jump or jam seating overcomes excessive runout.

Some situations may be more or less sensitive to runout.

Like Greyfox indicated... if you seem to have excessive runout, then consider your brass quality, prep, and procedures. I like to start with good brass e.g. Lapua. But, people still shoot tiny groups with other brass.

-- richard
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys lots of good food for thought. That kinda confirmed my thought on seating in the lands. I understand it wouldn't cure the problem but might be less sensitive. I guess I should have also given more info on my load and process. bushing neck size to .338, then full lenght bushing size to .333 (no expander ball on either) seated with Forester noncrimp BR seater to 2.98 COL. 43.5 of Varget 210M primers Federal match brass neck turned to .013 wall.
Barnes 175 match burners . Then check for runout on sinclair guage. I weight sort all brass & bullets. If anything throws a flag up here let me know, Thanks