Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

bullet run-out

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 901
bullet run-out

I know there are threads talking about this, but I have not been able to find them.

I am looking for opinions on acceptable bullet to case run-out. I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag. This gun is strictly for hunting out to the 750 yard neighborhood. I have built a fixture for checking run-out. Out of 50 rounds I had previously loaded, 70% were within .003TIR. The other 30% were mostly in the .004 to .005 TIR range with a couple at .006.

Thoughts?
__________________
7mmSendaro

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2007, 02:25 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: El Reno, OK
Posts: 1,930
Re: bullet run-out

I strive for <.002" and get it most of the time w/my current die setup. I'd say .003" runout is plenty good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Yakima, Washington
Posts: 3,833
Re: bullet run-out

With the best components and equipment available, Lapua, Redding comp. etc., I try for .001"-.0015" at the most for long range stuff. Most will stay at or under .001". Any that hit .003" or more get marked and used for sighters, foulers etc. The range you shoot at will determine what you strive for in dimensional perfection. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
__________________
ss7mm
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Potomac River
Posts: 5,057
Re: bullet run-out

You should check the runout of the fired case after they come out of your chamber. Spending a lot of time so you are putting straight bullets in a wopsided chamber is good reloading exercise so you have lots of practice but might not do a whole lot for your group size.
__________________
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: bullet run-out
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video of bullet performance - Federal PremiumŪ BULLET BREAKDOWN Len Backus Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 8 09-16-2011 10:50 AM
What makes a bullet a good bullet? cordj549 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 20 09-05-2011 01:49 AM
Bullet for 270 Win. jerryhk91 Reloading 6 08-16-2006 04:44 AM
Bullet help destroyer Reloading 4 07-14-2006 04:02 PM
Which bullet? Jim Hundley Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 4 05-16-2005 05:40 AM

Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.45%
1,071 Vote
NO - 37.55%
644 Votes
Total Votes: 1,715
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC