Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Bullet Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Bullet Question?

i used the 180 Berger's in my 7rum. as Kirby said, these big over-bores will just shoot the heavier bullets more consistently. they also have a 168. they'll work great on whitetails. you didn't mention your twist it less than 10?

Unread 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

To be honest, I can not remember! I will check, but I remember telling my Smith that I was planning on shooting 140's. I had this rifle built with the intentions of using it for Kentucky long range, 200 to 500 yards, and was planning on using the lighter bullets to keep my trajectory pretty flat, that way I could compinsate a hold over. I used this rifle in the factory configuration prior to having it accurized, and killed several deer around the 400 mark. I know the range, click, and shoot method is a more accurate method, but where I hunt I just barely have time to range and shoot. I usually range terrain features so if the deer is moving fast and I do not have enough time to range, I can still pretty accuratly guess yardage, more of a reason to flatten trajectory. If I were going to go any further than 500, I would deffinetly use the click method. I thought about trying one of the Kenton Industries dial. What do yall think of them?

I will give the 160 AB's a try and see if it makes my gun a little more consistant.

Thanks and excuse my spelling!
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave brings up another point and looking at the list of bullets you are testing, they all have one thing in common, they are all relatively hard bullets.

Now some of you will read that and think the youngster from Montana has lost his marbles if he things an Accubond and Ballistic Tip are hard bullets.

Well, in fact they are, at least in the area that I am concerned with, the base. They have very heavy, thick, solid guilding metal bases which are even harder then all copper bullet bases such as the Barnes and Swift.

As such, all the bullets you are testing will not easily bump up under pressure to fill your bore diameter.

You may well see an improvement in consistancy going with a more conventional cup jacketed bullet design such as a Hornady A-Max or SST or a Sierra MK or Gameking or a Wildcat Bullet custom bullet such as the 175 gr ULD RBBT. The Bergers as mentioned are also a great bullet to try as well.

Generally these all will shoot very well because their thin jackets and pure lead cores will allow the base of the bullet to easily and consistantly bump up under pressure to fill the bore and you will in most cases get more consistant shot to shot performance.

There is a reason all popular BR match bullets are cup jacketed bullets. There is also a reason that long range solid match bullets are critically dependant on bore diameter to shoot well.

You may want to try some softer bullets. Any of the one mentioned above will be more then enough for any deer and in most cases elk as well.

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the information and advice. I have really learned alot since I started browsing this site and really value yalls opinions!

I was sitting at my loading bench this evening and noticed I had a pound of AA8700. Anyway I was bored and wanted to do some shooting(My local sporting goods store did not have any 7MM 160 AB's that I wanted to try), so I started looking through my load manuals and decided to see what I could do with the 120 TSX's and the old AA8700 that has been gathering dust for a couple of years. AA8700 is the quickest powder for a 130Gr. bullet in my Lyman load manual, it did not show a load for a 120. To my suprise, 110Gr's of AA8700 (which is the max load reccomended for the 130) and the 120 7MM TSX produced a consistant 1/2" or better group once I found the sweet spot seating depth. I even shot a .526 5-shot group. I have no idea how fast these little bullets are flying but I would guess around 3600+ out of my Ulti-Mag.
How about this combo for a deer round out to 500 yards?

Opinions wanted!

I am scared I am going to shoot the riflings out of my Ulti-Mag but dang its fun!!!