Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

bullet pullers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

bullet pullers

for years the Forster bullet puller was kind of the standard everybody went to; including myself. Now I find myself in a project of pulling about 300 rounds of .257 ammo in three forms. I don't have a 25 caliber collet, and could really use a 22 and a 24 caliber pair of collets as well. So now I see one from Hornaday as well as RCBS. Has anybody here ever used the Hornaday? And if so, how well does it grip the bullet? And of course will it leave marks on the bullet?
gary
Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: bullet pullers

Besides using the inertia (hammer style), the only other puller that I have used is the Hornady. It works great, and if it does leave a mark, it is very slight. Just adjust it for the tension you need. I really like mine.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Hornday is a great puller. If set correctly there are no marks besides a lil bit from the neck of the case. Very easy to use and works amazing. Will never use a hammer style again.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Bronze Member

I have the RCBS bullet puller, and lots of collets for various calibers. It works pretty good for large numbers of rounds. I can do maybe 3-4 a minute and everything is saved...bullet, primed case, and powder. Everything is just as good as before the bullet was seated. The collet leaves a very slight ring around the bullet. You have to hold the bullet to the light just right to even see it. No info about the Hornady puller.

-- gr8whyt
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

I still like the old hammer best
Did 150 rounds of 45ACP that were over loaded and short so I couldn't use anything else
Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

i have several different pullers. one needs the proper size collets which of coarse squeeze on the bullet.
my favorite is a pair of smooth jaw channel lok pliers.
just remove the die, run the bullet up thru the hole, squeeze it with the pliers and remove the bullet with the handle of the press.
the collets make more marks than the pliers and one size fits all.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

ALL of the collet, grip style pullers deform the bullet. If you don't believe that just load one up that appears to have no marks and put it in a concentricity gage and watch the indicator dial jump as you rotate the cartridge. Learned this the hard way, and since then only use inertia type pullers if want to get any accuracy out of the pulled bullets, and then I put a piece of foam in the puller for the bullet to impact into.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)