Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet Pullers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

Bullet Pullers?

I was reloading the other night and I loaded up fifteen rounds of 300 rum with 300 weatherby powder charges (wrong page in reloading manual) Can I use a bullet puller and fix the screwups and does it ruin the bullet, powder etc.... Also which one would you recommend? Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bullet Pullers?

I use the RCBS puller and feel it is the best.

If you adjust the tension so it is snug but not abusive, the collet does not damage the bullet.

Make sure you put powder in the correct container. Reuse.

I prefer the Collet Die Bullet Pullers over the inertia hammer type.

They also work but if you search the threads, someone had a primer go off not that long ago using the inertia type.

Resize your necks on the brass.....be sure you do not contact the primer with a depriming rod....
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

I use the Hornady collet type,works great and doesn't damage your bullet,i would stay away from the hammer type also.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Gold Member

Two other notes, depending on whether you used a standard seating die or competion die....Also, you will need a collet in addition or the puller die that corresponds to the bullets diameter.

The standard dies crimp the bullet a bit and you may see that indentation on the bullets upon removal......just wanted you to be aware as this will not have been the fault of your bullet puller.

Forster also makes a die bullet puller....

I like the RCBS for the lever collet tightening bar, not sure what the others have but if I remember correcly the Forster has a nut you tighten.....but that may be incorrect.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

+1 on the collet puller.I would also recommend taking the decapping pin off your die and resize the cases again after you do it.I made the mistake of not doing this once and found that the recoil can drive the bullets deeper into the cases of the cartridges that are in the magazine of the rifle.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

I use the inertia type. When you buy a new one the first thing you do is throw away the collet holder, and use your shell holder instead.....
Old 01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

What about resizing them and the lube. Wouldn't the lube be bad for the primers or do i not need to use lube.