Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Are bullet lot#'s important?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Are bullet lot#'s important?

Other than weighing bullets,is it necessary to sort them by lot #'s?I try not to get other components(brass,powder,primers) mixed up ,I try to keep all the different lot #'s separated,so everything is as consistant as possible.I never hear about anyone worrying about bullet lot #'s.Is it worth worrying about,I didn't know if bullets can perform differently from one lot to the next,even if they weigh the same.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are bullet lot#'s important?

In a word yes. Some lots are better than others. I have heard it explained that as the bullet making dies wear because of use that they grow thus creating larger bullets. Once they wear out they are replaced. Not all dies are created equal, ask anyone who has tried to recreate the original Euber bullets (a very popular and sucessful benchrest bullet that is no longer produced). As I understand it the Euber bullet mold has been measured and copied a number of times but that they have not been able to recreate the "magic" of the originals. Anytime you change lots of bullets you might have some load work to do, depending on the degree of accuracy you demand.