Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet impact on paper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Bullet impact on paper?

If you have 2 loads and dont have a chrono....same bullet, and one bullet hits higher...is that the slower or faster bullet? Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet impact on paper?

If you're talking about a handgun, the bullet that impacts higher will be the lower velocity bullet, especially if it's a heavier bullet.

Lots more variable where rifles are concerned, and you can't make this same generalization. Sorry, need a chronograph to know for sure.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

How can the bullet with less fps impact higher,when all other variables are the same?

Rob
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

The other variables aren't the same. The vibrations/oscillations of the barrel are what come into play here. I'm sure that many of us here have seen "heavier"/slower bullets hit higher than light ones when shooting the same rifle/scope sighted in to the same point of aim. I saw it just this past weekend with my 340 Weatherby.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
The other variables aren't the same. The vibrations/oscillations of the barrel are what come into play here. I'm sure that many of us here have seen "heavier"/slower bullets hit higher than light ones when shooting the same rifle/scope sighted in to the same point of aim. I saw it just this past weekend with my 340 Weatherby.
The basis of the question was using the same bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
If you have 2 loads and dont have a chrono....same bullet, and one bullet hits higher...is that the slower or faster bullet? Thanks
I'm interested in some more info about this too.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 PM

With a handgun, time spent in the barrel corresponds to how high or low it impacts on paper. A slower bullet will generally impact higher due to the longer time spent in the barrel during recoil.

The barrel/or handgun tilts up during recoil more for the slower bullet before it has time to leave the barrel.

As said, all bets are off for a rifle. Harmonics, nodes and all other things factor in more because the rifle itself remains relatively stationary and moves more rearward than upward.

But for handguns, typically the slower bullet impacts higher on the target.

Brad
Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

+1, I compared 2 different loads for my dads 06 years ago. Load 1: 150gr Nosler BT, Load 2: 165 gr Sierra GK. I don't remember which (this was over 15yrs ago), I believe the GK hit a full 6" lower and 1-2" right.

The difference was hugely surprising to me at the time and I just didn't understand it until I studied (read up on) barrel harmonics. Since then I've been pretty surprised, and pleased when a rifle would place several different loads within 2moa.

To sum it up if you have rifle that will repeatedly have a similar POI with 2-3 or more very different loads, you have a very accurate very good rifle, most factory rifles will do as my dads rifle (Savage 110) did. That doesn't mean how ever that a factory rifle isn't capable of fine accuracy, Savage keeps proving that.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe