Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet Depth, "off the lands" vrs OAL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Re: Bullet Depth, "off the lands" vrs OAL?

Ok, this is sounding complicated. Right or wrong, this is what I have done in my bolt guns: I seat the given bullet long, then color it over with a magic marker. T then chamber and eject and observe for rifling marks. If present, I seat a few thousands more and repeat. I do this until no rifling marks appear. If the round operates in the magazine ok, I stop there. Not sure if this method is perfect, but it seems to get me some good accuracy. Feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnkrnch View Post
Ok, this is sounding complicated. Right or wrong, this is what I have done in my bolt guns: I seat the given bullet long, then color it over with a magic marker. T then chamber and eject and observe for rifling marks. If present, I seat a few thousands more and repeat. I do this until no rifling marks appear. If the round operates in the magazine ok, I stop there. Not sure if this method is perfect, but it seems to get me some good accuracy. Feedback would be appreciated.
This is similar to how I find the rifling in a particular rifle as well. I make sure and use a fire formed case and FL size just enough to allow it to chamber ok, this way the shell fits the chamber much better and the bullet will be more centered to the rifling. After seeing rifling marks in the sharpie band that I've colored around the bullet I continue seating deeper in small increments until the marks are so faint they are almost not visible in the black sharpie band. This is my max length to touch the rifling or "0" (No jump and no jam) Now I have a reference or starting point to work from to set up my jump or some even like a little jam.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the response. I have not gone beyond what I originally posted and experimented with any other depths beyond "just off the lands". The particular rifle I spoke of shoots sub MOA with what I have done, so im satisfied wit that for hunting. I also load for my brother in law and often just give him some of my loads, but, have to put them back in the press and seat deeper for his rifle (same model as mine) because if not they will jam in the lands and pull the bullet out on extraction. I keep a dummy round with his name on it to set the seating die with when supplying him with ammo.