Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luckeyt/a View Post
I measured the sized case mouth and it's I.D. was a little under .306. When I measured the bullet it was .309. Is 3 thou to tight?
1Luckeyt/a,

If your SMKs are truly measuring .309" then they're oversize. Did you pick these up as rejects from the factory? The specs for the .30 cal SMKs call for a max of .3084" which shouldn't be significantly different from the Noslers, Hornadys or anything else here that's run to SAAMI specs.

I'd suggest you take another look at the chamfering process, and possible the steel wool apporach that Shummy described. Anything that eases that transition of the bullet entering the case mouth smoothly is probably going to be time well spent.

KevinThomas
Lapua USA
Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luckeyt/a View Post
I'm new to reloading so I don't know if this is normal or not. I'm reloading for a 308 using new win. brass sized using a forester bench rest die and 175gr smk bullet. When I seat my bullet I notice that a small amount of the jacket is shaved off. I would think that it would be bad for accuracy.
My first guess was/is champhering. But after reading each response, Im wondering. Eventhough its new Win brass, have you scrubbed the inside of the case necks? I'd take a heavy black nylon cleaning brush (30 cal in your case) and put it in a cordless screw gun, and ''hone'' the inside of the case neck. Not too much mind you, but it will probably help when used in combination with champhering and the steel wool tecnique described in an earlier response. Hope it works for you.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"