Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet Comparing and Sorting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 AM

Bullet Comparing and Sorting

My current process of comparing and sorting bullets is using two Hornady bullet comparators, one on each blade of the caliper, however in my tinkering I found out there is a .002 difference in the two comparators. I found this out by putting the bullet in one way, then flipping it over and measuring it the other way and always getting the same .002 difference. So I've now learned to keep consistancy with that, (which I assumed in the first place) but that just validated it for me. Now I have my comparators marked so I know which one is which. So my question is, is my assumption right that I'm not as concerned with the actual number I'm getting as a size as I am with the fact that I sorting the bullets into the same size group for shooting together at one time. (if that makes any sense). In record keeping is anyone actually keeping track of the number in the bullet comparing process for referring to later on future reloads to use the same size? or are you just forgetting it as long as all the bullets in a particular batch are the same. (Hope that all makes some sense, in what I'm trying to say).

C.D.