Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

bullet comparator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 06:48 PM

bullet comparator?

I've got a ? for the experienced vld hp loader. Is it critical for accuracy to have all your loaded rounds at the same oal or is it good enough to seat them usoing the same setting on my bullet seater. I'm loading 6mm 107gr SMK w/ a Redding competition micrometer seater and I'm getting oal variations of .020 or more from different bullets in the same box. I 've seen in Sinclair a bullet comparator that looks like a big hex nut w/ holes in it. I guess you insert the loaded round in it and measure from the top of the nut to the case base. Is this measurement more important for accuracy that oal? As always I appreciate the knowledge from thoses of you that have been there and done that.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: bullet comparator?

I use a stoney point bullet comparator that measures the cartridge base to bullet ogive. I also seat my bullets long, take a measurement, and work down to the desired length. I was noticing differences in OAL even when measuring off of the bullet ogive, so I started to seat the bullets this way. I don't know if it's imperative or not. Hope this helps. I'm sure someone else with more experience than I will chime in.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

The more consistent you have your bullet set off the lands, should add to better accuracy. Every bullet wants to be set off to a different spec, but only using a comparator off the bullets ogive will be consistent. OAL just has too much error since any excess length during manufacturing has to go to the point. The ogive is consistent during the manufacturing process. Also, upon firing the ogive is what actually first contacts the lands. Accuracy, pressure, etc. can all vary if contact is not consistent. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 08:29 PM

I do the same as 270WSM - seat long and work down to the desired length. Slightly compressed loads and seating to the lands mean I don't have much choice.

Regarding varying comparator measurements after seating, differences in neck tension can cause different amounts of spring-back in the shoulder when the seating die is raised.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Here is the tool I use for COL:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthrea...p;page=1#83633
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a ? for the experienced vld hp loader. Is it critical for accuracy to have all your loaded rounds at the same oal or is it good enough to seat them usoing the same setting on my bullet seater. I'm loading 6mm 107gr SMK w/ a Redding competition micrometer seater and I'm getting oal variations of .020 or more from different bullets in the same box. I 've seen in Sinclair a bullet comparator that looks like a big hex nut w/ holes in it. I guess you insert the loaded round in it and measure from the top of the nut to the case base. Is this measurement more important for accuracy that oal? As always I appreciate the knowledge from thoses of you that have been there and done that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use the Sinclair comparator and you are correct in how it is used. It is a very inexpensive but accurate way of measuring the distance from the ogive to the base of the bullet.

Peter
Old 11-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

The Redding Instant Indicator is a great tool. Though caliber specific, it does several things, and is worth having!

JB