Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brown bear bullet decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Bronze Member

Brown bear bullet decisions

I have three hand loads for my .340 Weatherby that I have been shooting in preparation for a fall brown bear hunt. They are all grouping well. Probably does not make a big difference either way but would appreciate opinions on which bullet would be best to use based on your experience on a coastal brownie at 40-75 yards.

250gr Barnes TSX FB

275gr Swift A-Frame

300gr Woodleigh Weldcore Round Nose Soft Nose

Last edited by Powerguy; 05-29-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Brown bear bullet decisions

i have personal first hand experience on 2 bears
1 9'6" and the other legit 10'1"
one bear was shot with a 375 H&H mag
the other succumbed to his injuries from a 375 ruger

i first put a 300 gr solid in and then 3 soft point(expanding) bullets
i also kept shooting until the gun was empty.I was told he was done around the second shot
result:
broken shoulder(both bears unable to run)
double lung heart all shots take from 71 yards and 84 yards respectively
DEAD BEARS
for what its worth .Sir
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerguy View Post
I have three hand loads for my .340 Weatherby that I have been shooting in preparation for a fall brown bear hunt. They are all grouping well. Probably does not make a big difference either way but would appreciate opinions on which bullet would be best to use based on your experience on a coastal brownie at 40-75 yards.

250gr Barnes TSX FB

275gr Swift A-Frame

300gr Woodleigh Round Nose Soft Nose

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Keep in mind that I have never hunted brownies. The Barnes & Swift have a great reputation for integrity & penetration, I have no experience with the Woodleigh. With the yardage stated, i'd personally lean toward the Barnes as I have a pretty extensive working knowledge of that bullet.

t

Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

I'm partial to Swift A-frames, I use them in my 375 H&H and shot a couple Grizzlies with excellent results. Last fall I shot a griz with a 250 grain Nosler Partition in my 338-378 Weatherby factory ammo when I ran out of primers and couldn't roll my own. They worked fine.

Gus
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

1 experience as a spectator. My partners BC grizzly, in BC. The 275 grain Swift worked great in terms of the bear died quickly. Bullet unrecovered, but I believe it's the bullet to beat in .338 when chasing big bears.

You have 3 good choices I'd be completely comfortable with. A fourth might be the 300 Accubond. Supply might make my decision for me.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

My vote is for the 275 grain A frame. But, as others have stated, the others will do the job with extreme authority just as well.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks all. They all are shooting well. My first 275gr Swift loads were a little hot but still grouping around 1.5" at 100yds. I have backed off the powder a little bit and will be finalizing my loads in the next few weeks. The Woodleigh's grouped about the same as well as the barnes.

Trying to go with the heaviest bullet for the caliber so will probably bring both the A Frames and Woodleigh's on my hunt.