Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

breaking in new barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

breaking in new barrel

Im ready to load for new Criteron rem-age 7RM. Im thinking that it might be a good idea to break in virgin barrel with the bullet im planning on hunting with because it might conform the throat to the ogive profile of the 168 vld hunting bullets.
Am I correct or should I use cheaper bullets of same weight for break in?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
breaking in new barrel-20130831_142435.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: breaking in new barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrice23 View Post
Im ready to load for new Criteron rem-age 7RM. Im thinking that it might be a good idea to break in virgin barrel with the bullet im planning on hunting with because it might conform the throat to the ogive profile of the 168 vld hunting bullets.
Am I correct or should I use cheaper bullets of same weight for break in?
Your throat wont "conform" (change shape) to your bullet's ogive. It is made of much harder steel than your copper or lead core bullets. The idea of the break-in is to smooth out any roughness in the throat or bore and reduce resulting copper fouling.

My approach is to use a reduced load of heavy bullets and slow powder to minimize throat damage as I send my custom barrels to be nitrided. I wouldn't bother doing that with a factory barrel. You can possibly do pressure testing with your selected bullet in conjunction with break-in, but make absolute certain that there is no cleaning product residue left in the bore as it will affect pressure. But if you choose to pressure or accuracy test after break-in, there is no reason not to use the cheapest bullets available.

That said, It might be cheaper just to use your selected bullets if you have to buy a box of cheap break-in bullets and end up with half a box left over. I use leftovers from other loads that I don't use anymore when I can.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Thanks I will go ahead and do pressure test on my choice of bullet. This bore looks like glass with my cheap borescope so maybe fowling will fade quickly. But ill find out tomorrow.
If I ever find a place to nitride ill be there with a quickness , although its still not too late with this barrel.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Guess it is too late ive already ceramicoated this one
Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 AM

I used to shoot one clean one- put alot of copper downrange in the hope of making my barrel shoot straighter than I could. I now burnish the barrel before I fire the first round.
Sentry Solutions smooth Kote and BP2000. Puts the Moly in the barrel w/out the problems in the forcing cone and laps, smooths out and seals tool marks and allows me to shoot more than I clean- Groups stay tighter longer- my cold bore shot is consistent and absorbed in a 5 round group. Good stuff, cheaper than a box of Match Ammo.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Turns out this barrel rendered little or no copper after the first 2 rounds. Kreiger makes good blanks evidently.
Had 3 loads under .7 moa with h1000 but could have been tighter as the new Basix trigger set at 6 oz. I hold the rifle firm the same way on the bench as I do when hunting (on hunting rifles) so it was too easy to set the trigger off before I was absolutly ready.
Im loaded with same bullet with h4831sc for tomorrow ill try to give range report . Velocity was low with h1000 and a 24in. bbl.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
breaking in new barrel-20130903_065154.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

Hmmmm looks like criterion makes a good barrel...!