Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Breaking in a Factory Barrell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Breaking in a Factory Barrell

I am getting a Savage new and was looking for suggestions on how to properly break in the barrell for accuracy. I intend to reload for the gun and want to achieve the best accuracy.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Breaking in a Factory Barrell

What makes you think the barrel needs breaking in?

Just shoot that barrel. Every round of break in ammo wears it out a bit. The rifling has its sharpest edges when it's new anyway. Accuracy starts to degrade with the first shot fired. How much may be hard to tell depending on many things.

Nobody every broke in a barrel until a few decades ago someone thought it would be a good idea.

You'll get a dozen or more suggested processes to use. Pick one if that's what you feel is needed.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Bronze Member

Just shoot it!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

My break-in process is to shoot the crap out of it. Warm it up, cool it down, warm it up, cool it down, and just continue doing that, and you should be ok. I've never done a "proper" break-in procedure like these mfg's tell you to do. And all my guns shoot tiny cloverleaf groups from the factory...

Shoot you about 5 shots, let it warm up (don't let it get too hot), and let it cool for about 5 mins. Then continue doing so for about 50 rounds, then I consider a barrel to be broken in.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

My son shoots service rifle and we needed to follow strict break in procedures for his AR
Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Shoot you about 5 shots, let it warm up (don't let it get too hot), and let it cool for about 5 mins.
What objective's met by not letting it get too hot?

I've never known a good barrel done any harm by shooting it a few dozen times once every 20 seconds or so and getting it really hot. Done that very thing with brand spankin' new barres (15 or so)l and they never once complained.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
What objective's met by not letting it get too hot?

I've never known a good barrel done any harm by shooting it a few dozen times once every 20 seconds or so and getting it really hot. Done that very thing with brand spankin' new barres (15 or so)l and they never once complained.
It's not a huge deal, but you can possibly have some heat cracking if you get them too hot. You get it too hot and shoot it repeatedly you could burn the throat out of it. Not saying these things will happen, just saying that these things can possibly happen.

Whatever works best for you, is what works best for you. I was just stating what I do when I get a new gun, or rebarrel a rifle. It's just like football....We all have our own crazy rituals and techniques when we're waching our favorite team play. We're all superstitious. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.