Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Break in and cleaning of a new LR custom rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: Break in and cleaning of a new LR custom rifle

Sendero Coveter,

Before you drive yourself nuts with the coppering issue, take a look at the Sniper 101 series on youtube. Part 40 talks about coppering and cleaning, but you should really start with part 37 and watch through Part 41:

I've watched the entire series and implemented several of his recommendations. It is a leap of faith, but I do believe he knows what he is talking about.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
Factory rifle...why bother?

With a precision match barrel..why not?
I shoot one clean one for the first two or 3 rounds.
The first round always jacket fouls heavily.
The second round usually fouls less and on the 3rd round there is no fouling to be had.
I'm done.

Does it matter? I don't know. I think my barrels come up to peak accuracy quicker this way, but I admit it is hard to tell.
My precision barrels never jacket foul, but I know guys that say the same thing that just shoot their rifles.
I'm curious what cleaning solvent you use?

I just broke in 3 Broughton 5C barrels and like you, the first shot was a heavy fouler. The second shot was a good bit less. I clean with Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech CU+2. My process goes like this...

Push wet patch trough, first one is always black

Continue to push wet patches through until they turn faint blue. After the first patch they are black and blue and the black usually fades before the blue. During the break-in process it took about 10-12 patches before they faded to light blue at first and after about 10 shots of shoot and clean they cleaned up in about 6-8 patches with a lighter over color.

After patches fade to light blue I scrub bore down with a nylon brush and BTE or CU+2.

Wait 20-30 min and push wet patch through. This patch is usually a dark to med blue.

Push another wet patch through and it is usually a faint blue.

One more wet patch that comes out almost white and I dry patch with 4 patches.

Shoot and repeat cleaning cycle.

After about 12-15 rounds through each it was taking about 6 wet patches to clean up most of the copper followed by a scrubbing and a couple more wet patches. The color was not as deep or dark as the earlier cycles, but there was till fouling.

After that I shot a couple of accuracy check strings, cleaned and called it good and off they go for nitriding.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

I find it depends on what condition the inside of the barrel has.
The rough barrel may benifit a lot more than the ultra smooth match barrel .
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero Coveter View Post

The alternate (Heaven Forbid) is to fire a fouling shot into the ground, immediately upon exiting my truck, as soon as I reach my hunting ground and risk scaring everything away... Beggar That!!!
After a good cleaning, during or before hunting season, I will foul the barrel and check zero before going to the field.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
After a good cleaning, during or before hunting season, I will foul the barrel and check zero before going to the field.
This is what I do as well. I have also found that breaking in my barrels has helped, but they are all factory. I have never owned a match barrel, so I can't speak to that. I use JB Bore Paste every 3 shots for the first 30 shots. This process works well on a factory barrel. I've noticed that my copper fouling is much less than the rifles that I did not do this to.