Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

brass weight sorting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

brass weight sorting

how much weight variation is allow-able in weight sorting brass. any special processes before weighing (prepping, trimming, etc.). lets hear some input
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: brass weight sorting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhibbard24 View Post
how much weight variation is allow-able in weight sorting brass. any special processes before weighing (prepping, trimming, etc.). lets hear some input

Before I weight sort I do a full prep. Full length Size,De bur the flash hole,trim all brass to the same
length and turn the necks all the same thickness.

Then I sort in 1 grain batches. For precision shooting I try to find enough that weigh the same
out of each 1 grain batch.

Just the way I do it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhibbard24 View Post
lets hear some input
Forget shortcuts. Case weight in itself is meaningless.
So you should either measure volume, or forget about it, as pretending to don't get it.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Case weight isn't meaningless. It is just a "crude" measurement for case capacity. Capacity is probably more meaningful. Cases that have exactly the same case capacity might weigh differently. Ideally, all cases would weight the same and have the same capacity.

If you want to shoot at paper go to 6mmbr.com and deliberate ad lib.
If you want to hunt at long range, prioritize what will help make an ethical kill, and practice, practice, practice... even if your loads aren't "perfect"

Sorting by either (or both) helps narrow your ES/SD depending on your degree of OCD. But it won't help you read the wind, shoot down/up hill, or reduce buck fever.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-07-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Boss Hoss;557576]You are 100% correct and in short anyone who says different is just plain wrong period.

Sorry BH but I have to disagree.

When cases are sized the same and prepped the same differences in weight indicate
differences in wall thicknesses that will vary case volume. the only dimensional differences
will be differences in extractor grove depth and there is little or no difference if it is quality
brass or of the same lot #

Volume testing these different case weights have confirmed that it will show different volume's
to a reasonable accuracy.

Volume testing is very slow and if not done correctly will give false volumes and will not be as
accurate as weight sorting .

Weight sorting is much easier and with good electronic scales very accurate and most people
will not get discouraged with the process.

Like everything else, consistency is the name of the game and anything that will make brass
more consistant will improve accuracy.

When I started shooting (Over 50 years ago) I simply full length sized and loaded. As I improved
in my shooting skills I found my reloading to be inadequate and with every step accuracy improved
and scores climbed. I have since found through testing different methods that my ammo was more
consistant and some things do make a difference, and that good ammo takes work.

When I started loading ammo, there were full length sizing dies and neck sizing dies. Now there are
specialty dies that adjust neck tension,shoulder to case head dimensions.micrometer adjustable
bullet seaters and so on. Most of the serious shooters use them and anything else that will improve
there odds of a clean one shot kill or a winning score, and some will tell you that they just load and
shoot so they don't have to share there secrets to good performance with you.

It is true that if a person hunts under 200 yards it doesn't make that much of a difference as long as
the rifle will shoot 1 minute of deer, But if they want 1/2 MOA at all distances, every thing makes a
difference.

This is just my opinion and just because someone does not agree with me does not make him wrong
it just means that he disagrees.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-07-2011 at 08:40 PM.