Long Range Hunting Online Magazine



Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

Brass tumbled, now what ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountians of SW NC, near Asheville
Posts: 1,595
Re: Brass tumbled, now what ???

"...there will be some polish residue on the cases.
If this polish is Ammonia based then you want to remove any residue as Ammonia hardens brass!"

Ammonia is a liquid, it evaporates and dries. We will NEVER find any "ammonia residue" in dry cases any more than we could find "water residue" after it dries. By the time cases are tumbled, any tiny amount of ammonia has evaporated and it's GONE!

Ammonia IS harmful to brass. But the tiny amount in the small quanity of liquid polish we use in tumbling media is diluted so low as to make it pretty much irrelivant, and even that trace amount will evaporate out of the meda over night. When the cat-pee smell is gone, the ammonia is gone. Just don't wet clean your brass with a liquid polish containing ammonia and all will be well.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 920
Re: Brass tumbled, now what ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"...there will be some polish residue on the cases.
If this polish is Ammonia based then you want to remove any residue as Ammonia hardens brass!"

Ammonia is a liquid, it evaporates and dries. We will NEVER find any "ammonia residue" in dry cases any more than we could find "water residue" after it dries. By the time cases are tumbled, any tiny amount of ammonia has evaporated and it's GONE!

Ammonia IS harmful to brass. But the tiny amount in the small quanity of liquid polish we use in tumbling media is diluted so low as to make it pretty much irrelivant, and even that trace amount will evaporate out of the meda over night. When the cat-pee smell is gone, the ammonia is gone. Just don't wet clean your brass with a liquid polish containing ammonia and all will be well.
This is what the cartridge case manufacturers want you to believe.
Any contact with Ammonia even for short periods of time reacts with the brass to some degree causing some hardening. Thats why it cleans the brass it reacts with the copper and zinc of the case .

There will still be some residue from Ammonia reaction on the brass and this is what you want to remove before it gets in your dies and chamber.
Any polish will leave some residue of some kind.
If you want to use Ammonia based cleaners go right ahead but I don't.
Cartridge manufacturers don't either they use dilute acids to clean brass .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 6,068
Re: Brass tumbled, now what ???

I use walnut shells, no polish. Walnut shells will last a lot longer than corn media. If you really need to get them real shiney, then use corn media and polish.

Guess I missed something here??? Is this virgin brass? Have cases already been sized?

My usual sequense is, tumble, decap/size, trim (if needed), size again (if needed), primer, charge, seat. Oh well....

-MR
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 9,747
Re: Brass tumbled, now what ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Guess I missed something here??? Is this virgin brass? Have cases already been sized?
They are once fired Federal brass, they were already de-primed, re-sized, de-burred, before I decided to invest on a tumbler.

Thanks.

V/R

Ed
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 6,068
Re: Brass tumbled, now what ???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
They are once fired Federal brass, they were already de-primed, re-sized, de-burred, before I decided to invest on a tumbler.

Thanks.

V/R

Ed
Looks like you missed out on half the fun
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 9,747
Re: Brass tumbled, now what ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Looks like you missed out on half the fun
Please elaborate.
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 6,068
Re: Brass tumbled, now what ???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Please elaborate.
The fun of....

depriming, sizing and deburring.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Brass tumbled, now what ???
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**SPF** FS - 25-06 brass, 1X Fired, 127 pcs., tumbled shiny laver Reloading Equipment and Components 2 08-09-2011 04:56 PM
Tumbled bullets = poor accuracy? midgetorama32 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 5 05-23-2011 11:14 PM
FS - 25-06 brass, 1X Fired, 127 pcs., tumbled shiny laver Reloading Equipment and Components 0 05-11-2011 10:50 PM
Group differences in Weatherby Brass versus new Norma Brass TX mountain hunter Long Range Hunting & Shooting 5 12-29-2010 10:17 PM
FS - 25-06 brass, 1X Fired & NEW, 127 pcs., tumbled shiny. laver Reloading Equipment and Components 0 07-04-2010 05:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.


All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC