Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass that's NEVER cleaned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brass that's NEVER cleaned

There is absolutely zero benefit, and no valid reason, to clean the carbon film out of case interiors.
Also, one way or another the neck insides need bullet seating lube, and carbon is as good as any.

So leave it there, resist the herd, and don't sweat this one.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

I don't believe that new factory ammo gets any bullet lube. I have never heard of precision shooters using lube either unless they had a dry coating on the bullet.

Bus as I previously said, its an individual decision. I personally don't want any oxidation/carbon residue in my brass. New ammo loaded with new brass is known to last a long long time. I can't tell how many years I will keep some of my ammo before I use it, so I'm giving it the best chance to last a long time that I can.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Now that's a definitive answer! And it is what I always believed but it doesn't hurt to ask others who have more experience.
Thanks for the collective responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
There is absolutely zero benefit, and no valid reason, to clean the carbon film out of case interiors.
Also, one way or another the neck insides need bullet seating lube, and carbon is as good as any.

So leave it there, resist the herd, and don't sweat this one.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I have never heard of precision shooters using lube either unless they had a dry coating on the bullet.
Precision shooters don't use brand new brass where it counts, and otherwise they have the carbon film in place. That's the most common lube. Others(those who have removed the carbon) dip necks in mica, graphite, moly, or something else.
Those who don't, see far higher seating forces, which affects seating depth accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
New ammo loaded with new brass is known to last a long long time.
It's also known to cold weld..
You say you don't want any oxidation/carbon residue in your brass. Have you discovered any valid reason for this notion?

The best shooters on this planet do not clean their cases squeaky clean inside. They wipe the primer pockets(maybe), wipe the soot off the neck ODs(maybe), and maybe tumble the cases. They do this to keep grime out of their dies, that's all.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

MikeCR

All the points you made are valid.

But some of my ammo goes into long term storage and some is tossed onto the ground by the self-loaders. Both of these require cleaning.

Ground bound brass has abrasive crud on it and it has to be cleaned off.

Long term storage is about zero contamination and protecting the ammo from atmospherics and heat. Put away squeeky clean I have ammo that has shot fine 35 years later.

But for bench fire where the ammo goes from box to gun, is fired, and then carefully returned to the box? Probably not. But I brush the necks out and clean the primer pockets every time.

KB
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

Because it makes me feel better all the reason I need.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
Put away squeeky clean I have ammo that has shot fine 35 years later.
We're not talking about the same thing. The only way I'm aware of to restore brass internal to squeaky clean is SS pin tumbling. You didn't do that 35yrs ago.

Roper, feeling better about things has never made them valid.