Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass that's NEVER cleaned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Brass that's NEVER cleaned

I use Lapua brass for nearly all my rifles. Brass starts out clean & shiny and is handled with care. Before reloading I clean the inside/outside of the necks and clean the primer pockets. I never bother cleaning the case itself. The exterior of the case remains clean from firing to firing, just not as shiny as new. Never had a problem.

I was wondering, is there any reason to remove the fouling/powder residue from the inside of the case? I see that the new stainless steel pin tumblers do an excellent job of cleaning the inside of the case; but is there a need to do this?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Brass that's NEVER cleaned

The reasons I sonic clean is that it cleans primer pockets, removes the crust inside th case so I can accurately weigh the cases, and clean cases show how uniformly I'm annealing.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

IMO, it probably depends on whether the reloader is a hunter or a competition shooter. For hunting purposes, I would be more likely to use your method. For competition I want to eliminate as many variables as I can so I tend to be far more persnickety with those loads.
There's also some advantage to a thorough cleaning of your brass because flaws in the cases are more readily found when the cases are clean and shiny. Very small fractures in the case structure sometimes don't show as clearly on the surfaces of dirty cases.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

I weigh and sort brass after the initial brass prep but not much is usually needed with the lapua cases. Not shooting any competition but have been a longrange varmint hunter for many years. I've taken several big game animals at extended range but it wouldn't be considered "long Range" by the group posting here. LOL

I've never found a need to clean the inside of my cases but you never know what you can learn from the shooters on this board.

Any other opinions?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Do you wash your car and vacuum out the interior ? Sometime we do things because we can, and it causes no harm and looks at least as good as new factory ammo, sometimes better. Few people get to see your ammo, so this is something you mainly do for yourself / or not. If it is working for you, why change ?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

I was handed a problem child (660 Rem) with a bunch of old brass in an attempt to find some reloads that would work. The brass was very tarnished. So I bought one of the "SONIC" cleaners of the shelf with the recommended liquid wash. (Doen it by the book)

I expected the "SONIC" to provide some wave vibrating action, or something more that just a bath. After phone calls and emails, some a little nasty to the manufacturer I decided I'd been had.

So I tried an empty ice cream pail the solution of the shelf and added some of my wife's dish soap, lemon juice concentrate and vinegar. And an old stick I chipped of my fire wood, a old floor rag and mixed it all together in the pail and stirred. Not for long either.

Vwollia - shinier that the PROFESSIONAL SONIC machine so it went back to the store. GRR
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

So did you actually turn on the ultrasonic actuator ? They have 2 controls, the bath temperature and a timer. For the timer to do anything you have to turn on the actual ultrasound actuator and it is loud enough that you would not be mistaken if it was on.

The solution they provide in also often not the best, sometimes a bit of alcohol can do wonders...