Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

brass sticking in die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

brass sticking in die

I know this question had to have been asked a million times but. . . . I have about every other cartridge sticking in the die and am having to drill and tap the end to get them out. Is there some secret to lube I am missing? Could I have my die set wrong? I have an rcbs single stage press and am full length sizing for my AR-15. Any thoughts? I feel stupid since I have reloaded several hundred shells for other calibers with very few problems.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: brass sticking in die

What are you using for lube?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Buy a can of imperial sizing wax. The can will last a very long time and you will never have another stuck case
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

I would suggest cleaning your die and make sure that the tiny vent hole toward the top of your die threads is open and not clogged.

I periodically swab my dies using a Q-tip with a light coating of denatured alcohol. I then swab it again with a very light coat of case lube. Finally, I clean the vent hole out with a sewing needle.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Don't use spray lube on little cases, especially if they are still in the tray. Use a wax or bottle lube. I haven't stuck one yet using rcbs lube and pad. I've done thousands for the ar. I'd clean your die too, as you've probably got a bunch of crap in there from yanking stuck cases.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs300 View Post
I would suggest cleaning your die and make sure that the tiny vent hole toward the top of your die threads is open and not clogged.

I periodically swab my dies using a Q-tip with a light coating of denatured alcohol. I then swab it again with a very light coat of case lube. Finally, I clean the vent hole out with a sewing needle.
Thanks! I didn't even realize there was a vent hole.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys! All great suggestions. I actually have been cleaning my die every time I get one stuck. Is there a trick to setting these things that I missed? I have tried to find a how-to for setting an rcbs die but cannot find one. I always thought you just got your case holder to bottom out on the die. Is this correct?