Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass splitting at neck/shoulder. Lots of pics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: Brass splitting at neck/shoulder. Lots of pics.

Remember this ? Flip, you and I both know that whoever it was that pulled thousands/millions of bullets didn't use a pair of pliers. These were manufacturing defects in the new brass. It actually looked like a lap. Now I will say that it only affected about 2% of my batch but was very disconcerting until I had carefully inspected everything, annealed them and done the FL resize. When nothing failed that I had not already visually sorted, I felt pretty relieved.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

Do you dry lube the inside and outside of the neck ?
Could ammonia from bore solvents be contaminating the case necks ?
Do you leave you ammo loaded for long periods of time ?

My thinking is that the brass was work hardened from the factory , it could have sat around for years getting harder before sale and the die system is adding extra work hardening , reducing friction helps , plus high neck tension may be adding to stress corrosion in the brass over time ,
Brass quality could be low and impurities in the brass could be helping cracks start . If the neck is too hard then expansion from firing will make cracking more likely .
If any ammonia is contacting the brass in any process that also speeds up stress corrosion cracking. Look up , " stress corrosion in brass " .
I am not sure what dies are available for the 30-378 but if you can't buy a body die I would be making one by cutting the head off a Full Length sizing die and drilling the neck out to just over the neck diameter of a loaded round.
Then if you can't buy a Lee collet die for it I would try and modify one from a similar 30 cal cartridge . You don't have to size the full length of the neck and collet dies can be adjusted as to where they size with a washer over the case on the shell holder.
That should not happen after only 3 reloads so there is more than one thing going on here.

Last edited by Bullet bumper; 10-06-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Remember this ? Flip, you and I both know that whoever it was that pulled thousands/millions of bullets didn't use a pair of pliers. These were manufacturing defects in the new brass. It actually looked like a lap. Now I will say that it only affected about 2% of my batch but was very disconcerting until I had carefully inspected everything, annealed them and done the FL resize. When nothing failed that I had not already visually sorted, I felt pretty relieved.

Sure do. I also remember your discourse with the supplier. I still wonder about who else bought them and what they wound up with.

I've never seen any comments anywhere on any forum....

I've often wondered how a mass pull is done, I wonder if the supplier has a regimen of Manpower temps sitting around a table banging kinetic pullers or if they do use pliers....lol

I see they are still for sale on the site.

The 1500 I got were perfect but they were OF. I cringed at the goo in the necks.

Did you pop the primers and use what you got from me or did you leave the factory primers intact?

I still think he has headspace issues and/or a buggered chamber but time (and a borescope) will tell I guess.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Flip, I wanted the mag primers for the 6.5x284. To this day I still do not have the barrel, so I have not loaded anything. Since I did not know what the original problem was that resulted in the 308 LR ammo getting pulled, I deprimed everything and reprimed them with CCI 200, at least I had those. The loads I tested worked out real well with the 175gr SMK's.

I think the brass was bad from the factory. In addition, he probably has a loose chamber and when it is FL resided it works the brass a lot too. The shape of the shoulder on that brass looks really unusual (radiused not conical). But I do not own a WBY so do not really know what looks right with them.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

I stuck one piece on scotch tape on the back of one of these brass and my bolt will not close. This only added 1-2 thou length, so I think my headspace is ok?

This stuff came with the rifle when I bought it. I think it was pretty darn old despite the fact that I was told it had only been reloaded once.

I think the fact that I FL resized them didn't help matters either.

@ Bulletbumper, I do not lube the outside of the necks, but I brush the insides with a brush that has a small amount of case lube on it. I do use Barnes bore cleaner on this rifle occasionally, but I think the chances that it contaminated this brass is very small. Yes, this ammo was loaded for over a year before I shot it. I thought that was acceptable?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

In retrospect, I thought the necks looked strange too but I don't own anything WBY either (you know that).

Far as lubing the inside of the necks, I use one shot and a nylon brush or motor mica, whatever I have on hand.

I'm bummed, Terry is out of 300 grain Thors. I'll have to use the 290 Barnes on opening day down here. Oh well.

I've shot recently, 20 year old rounds that were handloaded by my late uncle with no issue. They went bang and the brass will be reloaded. Looks just fine.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
I stuck one piece on scotch tape on the back of one of these brass and my bolt will not close. This only added 1-2 thou length, so I think my headspace is ok?

This stuff came with the rifle when I bought it. I think it was pretty darn old despite the fact that I was told it had only been reloaded once.

I think the fact that I FL resized them didn't help matters either.

@ Bulletbumper, I do not lube the outside of the necks, but I brush the insides with a brush that has a small amount of case lube on it. I do use Barnes bore cleaner on this rifle occasionally, but I think the chances that it contaminated this brass is very small. Yes, this ammo was loaded for over a year before I shot it. I thought that was acceptable?

Thanks.
Not sure thats a viable standard if you used one of the compromised cases because the necks are euchred up.

You need to get some unfired (new) brass or factory loads and send a couple pills and then do the headspace check on the fireformed case, comparing it to an unfired or one of the fireformed rounds you sent. That will tell the story, if it is a story that is.

I'm almost willing to bet that the FL resized case will be a couple thousands longer from the datum line to the base compared to the fireformed case.

Finally, are you getting any brass on the bolt face and/or any shiny marks on the case base perimeter?