Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass splitting at neck/shoulder. Lots of pics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Brass splitting at neck/shoulder. Lots of pics.

...Only one trimmer for me now, a WFT, plus I made an insert to trim meplats. Quick, very repeatable, 0.003-0.005 differential across any number of cases and around half the price of a lathe type trimmer.

How about a case every 3 seconds.....
Old 10-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Bronze Member

You guys are good... lol.

I did attempt my first annealing job last night, nice that I had so much old brass to practice with.

It turned out to be a futile effort. I was doing great, (drill,large socket, coffee can full of water,) and was getting great color/heat on them. They were still failing the plier test even after I finished the process however.

6 seconds, 8, 10,12,18,24, (24 seconds is way to long I know I was just experimenting at this point.) It didn't matter, the brass was toast!

Out of the 25 not-yet split brass that I had, only 7 survived the bullet puller/re-sizing process.

I do have an rcbs case trimmer, it gets used frequently.

Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 AM

I had this problem with my brass with the RCBS dies. I changed last year to Redding type S-Match bushing dies and don't have the problem anymore.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
You guys are good... lol.

I did attempt my first annealing job last night, nice that I had so much old brass to practice with.

It turned out to be a futile effort. I was doing great, (drill,large socket, coffee can full of water,) and was getting great color/heat on them. They were still failing the plier test even after I finished the process however.

6 seconds, 8, 10,12,18,24, (24 seconds is way to long I know I was just experimenting at this point.) It didn't matter, the brass was toast!

Out of the 25 not-yet split brass that I had, only 7 survived the bullet puller/re-sizing process.

I do have an rcbs case trimmer, it gets used frequently.

Thanks again.
Some more advice (on safety and preserving your face and action). Get a a bottle of templac or a temperature sensitive crayon (available at any welding supply store or online) and use it. I don't condone or recommend the torch-socket-drill motor method because dwell time in the flame as well as flame shape and intensity is paramount to a properly annealed case, something you cannot accomplish with consistency, manually.... Don't say you can, I know you can't. Been down that road, thats why I have a Bench Source. You actually have a couple choices, Giraud Machine makes an annealer, Ken Light has one and there is a no-name on Flea-Bay all the time. The Flea-Bay unit looks a bit cobbly but I'm sure it works. Key is dwell time and case rotation and a suitable heat sink to keep the body cool.

I would have pulled the pills on the brass and annealed them, then resize not the other way around but your annealing method is lacking so thats moot anyway.

Of course I'm not you but what I'd do is buy new brass (or factory loads for the first ignition), shoot them 2 times total, pull the primers and coffee can them and get some more and repeat, all while saving up for a mechanized annealer like a Bench Source. That way, you'll have quite a few to anneal and you aren't running the risk of your gun blowing up.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Bronze Member

I did in fact bullet pull, anneal, and then resize. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

After trying it, I agree, annealing with the "eyeball" method seems pretty touchy.

I am getting new brass, and looking into getting some new dies and/or neck sizing only so I get a little better brass life.

I was shocked that these were as brittle as they were because they had not been shot that much. I guess full length resizing was pretty hard on them.

I will have a look at the units you mentioned, thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Gold Member

It sounds like you have a "loose" chamber and between that and full length resizing (too small compared to the chamber) you are having a problem. It is also possible that the brass was never properly annealed at the factory to begin with. I have had split necks on lake city unfired brass, and it was the LR stuff that was issued to the sniper teams...

Buy the best quality brass you can afford, then fire a few rounds and compare before and after measurements to know in what state your chamber is. Once you know, you have to decide whether you have the chamber set back, or modify your die to best match the chamber you have. I thought some die makers offered this service, but of course in recent times production of custom dies was stopped to try to support the demand for reloading equipment.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
It sounds like you have a "loose" chamber and between that and full length resizing (too small compared to the chamber) you are having a problem. It is also possible that the brass was never properly annealed at the factory to begin with. I have had split necks on lake city unfired brass, and it was the LR stuff that was issued to the sniper teams...

Buy the best quality brass you can afford, then fire a few rounds and compare before and after measurements to know in what state your chamber is. Once you know, you have to decide whether you have the chamber set back, or modify your die to best match the chamber you have. I thought some die makers offered this service, but of course in recent times production of custom dies was stopped to try to support the demand for reloading equipment.
You aren't telling the whole story. I personally think whoever pulled the pills from those cases, used a pair of pliers and wiggled them out.......

What he needs to do is compare a new, unfired case to a fired new case to ascertain how much it's stretching and where.

I wonder how much his old cases grew between firings.