Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

brass splitting the neck dwn to shoulder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Gold Member
Win 22-250 factory ammo

Hi all the factory 22-250 Win ammo I fired in my match barreled 22-250AI cracked down the shoulder their brass has turned to crap. Every other brand of cases is fine even some old brass that was fired up to 10 times formed no problems but the Win ALL cracked.

We have also had trouble with the Match 308 ammo loaded for the NRAA has had cases with no flash hole and other cases that cracked or seperated.
Cheers Bill

Unread 11-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Silver Member
Re: brass

Originally Posted by Hammer47 View Post
I usually use lapua but in the past I have handloaded a lot of Winchester brass. Like it second to the Lapua. I would wager if you pulled the bullets from this factory loading and dumped the powder and punched out the primer and did an annealing job on the brass and then reassembled it the splitting problem would go away. .004 is a lot of expansion however if the brass is annealed and then neck sized the problem should go away. I know this is a lot of work but if you want to save the rest of the brass it may be the only way out of the bag. When you buy virgin brass for the first loading if it has not been annealed at the factory [like Lapua has] I would be sure to do this. When loading with anything other than lapua, I always anneal before loading. Regards...g
Just curious. Would you mind sharing your method for annealing brass?
There are only two seasons: Hunting season, and Getting Ready for Hunting season. -DAD
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member
Re: brass splitting the neck dwn to shoulder

Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

"NO" it is not common with any new brass.

You should bring this up to winchester because it sounds like
a quality control problem.

Get the batch/Lot number off of the inside of the box before
you call and have the fired neck dia and the loaded ammo neck
O D because they will probably want to blame it on your rifle.

It should only expand about .004 over the loaded dia.

Winchester may deni any problems ,but you may save someone
else a more serious problem.

for many years Winchester manufactured all their own raw brass in Indianapolis. But several years back they decided to close that plant, and who knows where the ingots come from now. I've heard that as much as 50% now comes from Asia.