Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass, powder, primers, and bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM

Brass, powder, primers, and bullets

I'm curious where everyone is getting their reloading supplies now a days? I'm just starting new to reloading and was wondering where I should start to get supplies. Oh and one hurdle.... I'm in NY, near Syracuse.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brass, powder, primers, and bullets

powder valley inc
midsouthshooterssupply
brownell's/sinclair international
natchez
local stores like bass pro, gander mountain
Old 11-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage88 View Post
I'm curious where everyone is getting their reloading supplies now a days? I'm just starting new to reloading and was wondering where I should start to get supplies. Oh and one hurdle.... I'm in NY, near Syracuse.
Internet is really hit or miss now. I waited 6 months for powder. Put back orders in at every site you can for whatever supplies you need. Act fast when you get an in-stock notice. It will go fast. Also check w local shops. Even if an internet retailer shows out of stock, their stores may have limited supplies.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
powder valley inc
midsouthshooterssupply
brownell's/sinclair international
natchez
local stores like bass pro, gander mountain
I'll add Midway USA and Grafs. Both will send you emails for certain items when the come in-stock. My two favorites are probably Sinclair and Grafs - good shipping rates and good quality stuff.

Powder and primers are best found locally, it at all possible. Hazmat shipping is expensive and online stocks seem to be gone as soon as they get listed.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

I have been seeing a lot more available locally recently.

the gun show last weekend there were actually 4 vendors for loading supplies, haven't seen that in over a year and they had quite a bit of powder even 8lb'ers of varget, h4350, h4831sc and many others.

as others have said i get on email notifications with grafs, natchez, wideners, midway, brownell's also check powder valley daily they had primers lastnight and a few powders.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM

I managed to get everything I needed to start loading for my 243. The hardest part was the powder. None of the ones I researched and planned to get were in stock. Out of the few that were in stock and after a quick google search I got 2000-mr and r17 since others were using it with my calibers and they seemed to be able to work with all my rifles. The only problem is that there is not exact work ups of my exact bullets I plan to use. I'm not sure where to start. The shop I got them from did have some imr 4895 and hodgdon 4895. Should I have gotten that instead? After getting home and doing more research it looked like the 4895 is more popular. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be great!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

For a .243 you probably want powders in the burn rate range from IMR/H4350 to IMR/H4831, depending on the bullet.