Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass neck getting thicker.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

Brass neck getting thicker.

Hello everyone,
I have a 6mm Remington that I am using Winchester brass with and after 2 reloads the brass necks have gotten thicker. The necks have'nt been turned and to me it's not a donut at the neck and should juction. It's 1/3 of the neck thicker starting at the neck shoulder juction and up. I purchased a Pin gage set and .243 pin goes 2/3 down the neck and stops. I have to use a .241 Pin gage to go past the neck and shoulder area. I understand the brass flowing to the neck area but what can I do to stop this from happening. I was thinking of trying out some 7x57 Norma brass and just necking down.
Thanks Anthony
Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Brass neck getting thicker.

Have you measured the neck thickness?
A pin gage doesn't do that. You need a neck mic, or deep seat a bullet so that it's bearing is into the neck shoulder junction, and outside measure the neck.

And let me guess, you're FL sizing the necks, right?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

FL resizing~yes.
Measuring the necks. I did at first and was going to turn the brass neck to clean up but there's .001~.0015 diff. from side to side and I didn't want to turn that much off.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Gold Member

use an inside neck reamer.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Bronze Member

What do you guys think of neck sizing then expanding then neck turning and just let the neck turner turn the thickin area off.
Anthony
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

What you have here is normal with FL sized -unturned necks.
Reloading 101; Brass tapers in thickness from the webs all the way to the mouths.
That means neck brass nearest the shoulders is thicker than neck brass nearest the mouths.
When you FL sized the necks, you pushed the entire neck(thick and thin) inward, and for no good reason. Now, the neck ODs are somewhat uniform throughout their lengths, at the expense of tapering neck IDs(which will increase tension).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284 Win. View Post
neck sizing then expanding then neck turning and just let the neck turner turn the thickin area off
It's actually a little late for that as the necks have taken a set by the FL sizing of them. Best to do it (expanding only, and to the turning mandrel) when the brass is in new form, and it's springback is still uniform full length of the necks.
You could run a reamer in them crooked holes, but this will likely create permanent runout.
You could try re-expansion & turning.
You might decide that it's not a problem worth pursuing, based on your seating depths.
Or, just start over with new brass and a better plan.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks alot Mikecr.
On my .284 Winchester I have noticed the neck being tapered but I haven't had any problem there at all. I neck turn the Laupa brass when it was new and the bullet is seated WAYYY out to stay out of the neck shoulder juction and I only have like .001 neck tesion on a loaded round.
The 6mm Remington Is Winchester brass and it"s not neck turned and YES the 87 Grain bullet is out to the lands loaded and is seated in the thickin brass area casing me problems.
Is it normal for you to neck turn brass again later down the road to take taper out. It just seams cheaper than to try to buy a Wilson inside neck reamer for every caliber you shoot.
Anthony