Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

Brass Life

Just wondering about brass life. Lets assume that all cases are being full length resized, what are your opinions. 223, 22-250, 243, 308win. The reason I ask, I am just going through my brass collection and I am trying to decide what is on it's last legs and what is not Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brass Life

Depending on how much the shoulder is bumped when you full length size. If it is very much at all, you can have a head separation in 3 to 4 uses. If you neck size only and anneal every 5-10 times you may get 100 times out of a brass. I use them till either they split or the primers won't stay in on their own. Without annealing you will start splitting necks. If they are already loaded go ahead and shoot them as a batch and then toss them.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

In my experience, the .243 and .22-250 are the most sensitive. I have ruined brass in three firings or less by over-doing it. I also busted some .22-250 brass due to the misprints in the Barnes book. I was getting anywhere from 4200-4600 fps with 50 gr VLCs. That brass lasted two firings. Loading .22-250 brass with 52 gr SMKs with Varget and H380, I have 12 firings on one box, and still have tight primers and minimal case stretch. Loading .243s trying to get AI performance will cause short brass life.

Use it until you lose the primer pockets or start getting cracks.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Brass life (reloads per case) depends on three things: how much the case is sized down form its fired dimensions, how hot the load is and the quality of the cartridge brass.

I and many others get between 50 and 100 reloads per good commercial rimless bottleneck cases when fired in SAAMI minimum chambers and full-length sized such that body diameter's not reduced more than .003-in. and the shoulder's set back no more than .003-in. using maximum loads producing best accuracy. Primer pockets don't open up much all with our maximum loads until after about 50 reloads. If they do, a tool is used to crimp the pocket's top edge so they'll hold a primer. We don't need to anneal case necks. I've never annealed a case neck.

If one gets short case life, too much of at least one of two things is the cause; case sizing (oversize chamber?) powder charge for the bullet used and case hardness (especially military cases; they aren't made to be reloaded, even match ones).
Old 07-25-2006, 06:34 AM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
If you neck size only and anneal every 5-10 times you may get 100 times out of a brass.

[/ QUOTE ]
I "full lenght" reload for hunting purposes and have not yet ever neck sized anything. Would it not be unsafe or not prudent to neck size only hunting ammo? If I get 2 or 3 loads out of my brass, I'm happy but then again I probably don't shoot as much as a fellow who get 50 to 100 reloads.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

I anneal to restore neck tension and to help prevent splits. I have always used neck sized only brass for hunting. If I start feeling resistance on closing I will bump the shoulder just enough to make the resistance go away. I run my brass by the lot of 50 to 100 so it takes me a little while to get over 20 times where I may start feeling it. My 7mmMag brass is over 25 times and still closes up nicely. All my chambers are big fat loose factory ones.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

Hired Gun...at the risk of sounding a bit stupid, what exactly do you mean by "bumping" the shoulder? I have full lenght dies only and I know that I can back them up so that I size only the neck, would bumping the shouder mean that I'd screw my die in a bit more to run the shoulder through the die. If so, how do I set this and check it?