Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass cleaning question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Bronze Member

Brass cleaning question

Got a few questions about better brass cleaning procedures.

First. I've been using a ultra sonic case cleaner. Need some ideas for drying the brass besides just on a rack.

Second. Sometimes I like tumbling brass to get the insides of the cases done nicely. What medias are available that don't leave residue and dust inside the cases?

Thanks.
Joe
Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Brass cleaning question

You can use stainless steel media instead .
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod42858.aspx

Pellet Pins Brass Cleaning Media SS Media 5 lb bag

You can tumble dry but many don't recommend it , add some water and low foam detergents to speed it up .
here's a tutorial .
Brass Cleaning with Stainless Media within AccurateShooter.com

Wash the cases off in hot water after tumbling and dry the rest of the way with a hair dryer . No heat guns !
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

All well and good but you have to make a radical change in equipment because a conventional vibratory tumbler and stainless media wont work, especially with detergent added to the water (imagine a hot tub with dish soap added....foamy all over).

To run stainless media you have to use a rotary tumbler....and they ain't cheap.

I do it both ways depending on how dirty the brass is and what mood I'm in. Running stainless media is time consuming and involved because you have to load the tumbler, add water, add Lemishine and detergent, seal it up, tumble, dump the drum in a bucket so as not to loose the pins (in my case minature stainless steel balls) down the drain, scruffle the brass around to dislodge the stainless, get the brass out of the bucket, then rinse it and dry it whereas if you dry tumble, it's tumble, seperate the media (optionally rinse and dry) or jujst clean the flash holes of stray cob and reload. Like I said, depends on my mood.

I have taken normally tumbled (in cob) brass in the past and rinsed them in tap water to remove any dust inside and then dry them courtesy of my wife's dehydrator. I can get several hundred 308 cartridges in the dehydrator and it takes about a half hour to dry.

STM is nice but time consuming and patently messy. Good to have options.

Personally, I don't think that STM is the answer all to brass cleaning.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

I have cob media vibratory tumblers, and also walnut hull.

I have a heated ultra sonic cleaner as well.

They are all not getting used these days since I bought the STM stainless media tumbler. To me it is the cats meow and I wish I would have had it all those years I used the old vibratory tumblers that never did a good job, and left all that darn cob and stuff stuck in the flash holes. I find the STM way easier, faster and does a much much better job in only 4 hours or less. Like new inside and out including primer pockets. I will never go back.

I pat mine dry on the outside by laying them on paper towels. Then a quick trip through the annealing machine and they are 100% dry. If not annealing I leaver sit over night neck down in a loading block.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

You can send me your old tub vibrators, I can polish parts with them......

STM is still a PITA.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

Stainless media sounds cool. I'll have to give it a go.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
STM is still a PITA.
Yeah, if you say so flip. And sitting there with a paper clip or tooth pick clearing media from flash holes is not.

To each his own. I guess you can state your preferences but I should not. right?

Jeff