Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Brass Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Brass Cleaning

Anybody out there using any of the orange cleaning derivatives to clean powder residue off brass? I've used it for cleaning carbon and grease off engine stuff and it was sure nice to do that kind of work without the smell and toxic nature of other alternatives. I wouldn't think it would do anything structurally to the brass either.

Just wanted to see if someone out there has tried.

Thanks for looking!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brass Cleaning

I use walnut media in my tumbler, and tumble before I size, to keep my dyes safe, and after I size to remove the Redding Imperial Sizing Wax. Belive it or not but the wax from sizing the cases pulls off alot when tumbled clean. Oh, and nothin ''toxic'' if that was your concern, but I have not tried the ''gojo'' meathod.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

I'm looking for a way to clean without tumbling. The orange cleaner didn't give me the results I was looking for as the primer pockets still had a good amount of junk in them. I found a different recipe that I'm going to try and I'll post the results.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

An utlra sonic unit with heat is the best way I have found. I use 50/50 water and
vinegar, tablespoon of lemi-shine, and a dish soap with ammonia laurel sulfate in it.
They come out spotless inside and out.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

Hear is an article that shows some insight on ultrasonic case cleaning.

UltraSonic Case Cleaning
Old 04-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Is there a down side to tumbeling? I use a primer pocket brush before I tumble, and a nylon brush on the end of a screw gun to clean the case necks and inside the brass.
Does tumbeling have some adverse effect on brass I dont know about?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Not an orange dirivitive but I've had good success with the IOSSO liquid case cleaner before tumbling.