close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

Bone head move

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bean Patch
Posts: 193
Bone head move

I had some time today to work on some 300 win mag brass. Got everything ready to the priming step. Cleanened off the bench of everything but priming tool and loading tray with 50 rounds of shiny brass. I reached into the cabinet and identified my Federal GM215 match primers and dumped half the box onto my hand primer. I shook them around and snapped the cover over them. I chucked the first round and squeezed twice and thought...HMMM that was a fairly loose pocket. After a a second shell was primed I decided that this would no doubt be the last loading of this batch of brass and continued on. After about 25 were primed I remembered that this is only the second loading of this brass. Now I was sure something was not quite right. My next thought was....Gee I wonder when they changed the color of these primers? they are not purple. One look at the box on the bench and I relised I just primed a bunch of 300 WM brass with GM155 Match pistol primers. Time to break out the decapper die. DOOH what a time for bad hand eye coordination. I am gonna have to put pistol primers on the other side of the cabinet.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-14-2012, 07:08 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,927
    Re: Bone head move

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red hunter View Post
    I had some time today to work on some 300 win mag brass. Got everything ready to the priming step. Cleanened off the bench of everything but priming tool and loading tray with 50 rounds of shiny brass. I reached into the cabinet and identified my Federal GM215 match primers and dumped half the box onto my hand primer. I shook them around and snapped the cover over them. I chucked the first round and squeezed twice and thought...HMMM that was a fairly loose pocket. After a a second shell was primed I decided that this would no doubt be the last loading of this batch of brass and continued on. After about 25 were primed I remembered that this is only the second loading of this brass. Now I was sure something was not quite right. My next thought was....Gee I wonder when they changed the color of these primers? they are not purple. One look at the box on the bench and I relised I just primed a bunch of 300 WM brass with GM155 Match pistol primers. Time to break out the decapper die. DOOH what a time for bad hand eye coordination. I am gonna have to put pistol primers on the other side of the cabinet.
    This can happen to anyone if they are not carefull and I use a method that will minimize the chance
    of this. (It has saved me more than once.

    First clean everything off the loading bench surface.

    Then using the load data- select one thing at a time and place it in front of you.

    Proceed to the next component and do the same.

    When everything has been selected organize everything in the order to be used and re-check
    every component.

    I never have more than one powder, primer, bullet. and brass on the working surface at a time.

    This process saved me from using the wrong powder.

    It works for me.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-16-2012, 05:03 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Location: new zealand
    Posts: 117
    Re: Bone head move

    is it safe to de-cap live primers?
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Location: Long Island, New York
    Posts: 2,440
    Re: Bone head move

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blacknzr1 View Post
    is it safe to de-cap live primers?
    IMO Yes, I've done it many times over the years and never experienced any problems. While you could probably reuse the decapped primers, I play it on the conservative side and just discard them.

    For what it's worth, I keep several open boxes of primers together (in a drawer) for use as I load. Most of them are Federal and look similar. Using a magic marker, I always put a large star on the box with the 215M primers. It's just a visible reminder but seems to help avoid grabbing the wrong box. I've never mistakenly used a 215M when that wasn't the intended choice.

    Just a thought
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-16-2012, 08:57 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Elkford B.C. Canada
    Posts: 111
    Re: Bone head move

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
    IMO Yes, I've done it many times over the years and never experienced any problems. While you could probably reuse the decapped primers, I play it on the conservative side and just discard them.

    For what it's worth, I keep several open boxes of primers together (in a drawer) for use as I load. Most of them are Federal and look similar. Using a magic marker, I always put a large star on the box with the 215M primers. It's just a visible reminder but seems to help avoid grabbing the wrong box. I've never mistakenly used a 215M when that wasn't the intended choice.

    Just a thought
    I have never had any problems with using decapped primers, at $ 4.00 to $5.00 a 100, who can afford to throw them out!!
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-16-2012, 09:39 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,927
    Re: Bone head move

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunpower View Post
    I have never had any problems with using decapped primers, at $ 4.00 to $5.00 a 100, who can afford to throw them out!!
    You have been lucky.

    When you de-cap a primer the de-capping pin pushes against the Anvil of the primer and may
    deform it just enough to cause a poor ignition affecting the Standard deviation.

    I am glad you have not had a problem,but with the cost of all the other componants it seems to
    be counter productive to save the potentially damaged primers.

    Be aware of this if you save them after de capping them. and I would warn against open "Anything"
    in the same location. one mistake could be catastrophic.

    Just a little advice (You can't be to carefull).

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 275
    Re: Bone head move

    Plus 1 . At $4. to $5 a hundred there the cheapest thing in you reloading inventory.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Bone head move
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    QAD Ultra Rest HD Bone Collector NIB Gunderstorm Other Stuff For Sale 0 09-07-2012 10:57 AM
    NIB-QAD Bone Collector Ultra Rest HD Gunderstorm Other Stuff For Sale 0 08-19-2012 03:22 PM
    Grip head or fuild head? ZSteinle Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 0 01-28-2010 02:19 AM
    Bone Out field Dressing Nvhunter Deer Hunting 7 09-29-2009 11:03 PM
    Bone cracker gube204 Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 5 10-15-2008 07:00 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC