Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

bolt wont close???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: bolt wont close???

Been there done that; got the t shirt. If I don't bump the shoulders back .003 they wont chamber. On allof my WSM's and WSSM's I have learned to check each round after resizing to make sure they chamber smoothly. Just one of the quirks to a great round.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Check Wilson Chamber Check Gage. Very simple.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

FWIW I don't own a wsm but have worked with a few. What I've found is with that if I don't set the shoulder back about .003" when running reloads that match factory velocity there is alot of tension on bolt lift after firing the reload. Enough that I think it would hinder follow up shots.
I'll use the lee collet die on once fired brass for testing....but only fl sizing for hunting. I've been told the culprit is the larger shoulder area of wsm brass. May not be a problem for all chambers but it was very noticeable in the couple guns I worked with.
The wsm's are kind of a cool casing to look at but also kind of a pain to reload....at least that's what I've found.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Bronze Member

I've loaded for .325 WSM & had to buy a small base die to size once fired brass. It wouldn't chamber the regular full length sized brass. This was for a BLR which is a little finicky. I prefer Redding dies. They will also build dies specific for your rifle.
Good luck
Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
This brass is fired in the same rifle. Im just not understanding why once fired brass would need to be full length resized.
The load may be in the upper half and that causes the brass to strech more. I would recommend that you get a good full length resizing die and bump the shoulders a little back. Also get a comperator to measure the shoulders.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
well looks like a better pick up a full length sizing die. all i have is a neck sizer. What die do you guys recommend?
there's the problem. You cannot neck size brass and expect to shoot it forever. Best to start out with a good full length die, and then move into a neck die. Myself, for a hunting rifle I'd do nothing but full length size it.
gary
Old 09-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Well i purchased a FL sizing die and a Wilson case length gauge. Set up die per included instructions, resized some brass, measured with gauge trimmed, as necessary and they seem to be cycling through rifle fine now. However it seems i used a little to much lube on my brass because some of my shoulders are rippled. Thanks for all your help.