Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bolt Sticking! Is it my load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Bolt Sticking! Is it my load?

Thanks everyone for the info, i really appreciate it. Im going to start with trimming the brass and see if that works. Ill post on here if i have any more issues after that, but i have this gut feeling thats what it is after reading what everyone posted. Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Factory bolts can get Sticky pretty fast it wont hurt anything but you Must know the actions limits.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

I've got agree with MudRunner an Tube Man! Try trimming your brass. I understand that every rifle is differant, in saying that the only real differant of your load an mine is in one of my 7mags I bump the load to 71gr of H-1000. Havnt had any sticky bolt yet! Just try trimming your cases an see what happens! Just my 2cts!!

DT
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
I've got agree with MudRunner an Tube Man! Try trimming your brass. I understand that every rifle is differant, in saying that the only real differant of your load an mine is in one of my 7mags I bump the load to 71gr of H-1000. Havnt had any sticky bolt yet! Just try trimming your cases an see what happens! Just my 2cts!!

DT
0+1 and I don't think your load is too hot I'm loading 68.7 H-1000 in a custom, and my hunting partner loads 69. grs H-1000. In a stock sendero. I have been as high as 71.5 with no problems other than it didn't group that well. We are both also shooting 168Vld's guess I should have mentioned that.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

I'm running 70.0gr of H1000 behind my Berger 168 VLD's in my 7RM Browning A-Bolt II, and so far its shooting great. No sticky bolt, no pressure signs other than some slightly deformed primers, but as long as my brass shows no pressure signs, I'm fine with the primers flattening a little bit. It's barely enough to notice, but you can just spot a small lip right around the flat edge of the primer where it is exposed to the bolt face.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
0+1 and I don't think your load is too hot I'm loading 68.7 H-1000 in a custom, and my hunting partner loads 69. grs H-1000. In a stock sendero. I have been as high as 71.5 with no problems other than it didn't group that well. We are both also shooting 168Vld's guess I should have mentioned that.
+2 I would like to mention that a sticky or stuck bolt is the beginning of problems when brass is longer than the maximum length. The bigger picture is that when a round is chambered there is a potential that the brass will not be able to release the bullet before the case fails. The resulting pressure spike could have disastrous results for both the gun and/or shooter.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM

I had the same problem with my 7 rem mag. I was shooting 70.0 H1000 w/ 150 gr Noz. BT. I bought a belted magnum collect resizing die from Larry Willis at Innovative Tech. No problems since, it works on all belted magnums.