Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Blending Different Lots Of The Same Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

Re: Blending Different Lots Of The Same Powder

imr7828 and imr7828ssc have identical burn rates. The differance is the size of the granuels. The ssc meters much better. They will mix perfectly as long as you weigh your charges IMO
Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

Just a word of cation when mixing ssc powders with sc powders: as pointed out, the ssc are shorter so they will meter differently. If you are throwing charges, more likely than not, they will be based on volume and not weight. Unless each throw/charge has the same percentage of sc to ssc, the weight will vary with each throw. You can mix them - but I would weigh each charge if accuracy was my goal.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

I have don it on and off over th years with H-1000. I have a large black plastic mortar tub. I sprad on pound on bottom, then sprad the next with a crossing pattern, then repeat. After all jars are in the tub I mix by hand, and rebottle with a label dated and marked as blend. I keep a note in my log book of how many and what lot numbers were used in this "blend"

Jeff
Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

I've blended different lots of the same type of Alliant powders, and still do. I find with the RE19 & RE22, I get more consistancy for those 2 lbs of powder, since the Alliant containers will hold 2 lbs per container. I just pour and shake well. Let them sit for a while and everything works good for me. I've done the same with Varget and H1000 before.

My next go-round I will be ordering 8lb kegs of Varget and H1000.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.