Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Blending Different Lots Of The Same Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Blending Different Lots Of The Same Powder

Due to the times I have an acceptable amount of powder, finding it here and there, but different lots.

I have been thinking about thoroughly blending all the lots to create one. I have done this with 2 lots, but not three or 4. I don't think there would be any problems. Does anyone know if I would have any issues, technical or safety wise?

The powder is h-1000 and I may do it with varget also. Again I'm not blending 2 different powders. I want to blend different lots of the same powder.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Blending Different Lots Of The Same Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
Due to the times I have an acceptable amount of powder, finding it here and there, but different lots.

I have been thinking about thoroughly blending all the lots to create one. I have done this with 2 lots, but not three or 4. I don't think there would be any problems. Does anyone know if I would have any issues, technical or safety wise?

The powder is h-1000 and I may do it with varget also. Again I'm not blending 2 different powders. I want to blend different lots of the same powder.

I do it all the time. I never throw away my "5 or 8 lb kegs" so that if I go to buy powder, and they don't have any kegs of what I want...I can still pick up 3-4 lbs and just refill my keg.
Shake well and pour.

I can't fathom how there would be a safety issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

I discussed this with a technician at ADI where they make the H1000 and Varget powders. His recommendation was to tip them all into a single container, give them a good shake, them let the canister sit for about a month for the powders to acclimatise (my word, I dont recall his exact term).

I have done this with Retumbo, but only left it to sit a few days. No problem, but there may be a very slight difference in burning rate after a longer period.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Good deal it will be one less headache to deal with.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

I used to do this and never seemed to have an issue. A couple of years ago I experienced a change in Retumbo. A thoroughly tested load required a 1.5 gr reduction to generate the same velocity with a recently purchased lot. I don't think this is typical because lots purchased since produce similar results to the lot that required the lower charge weight. None the less, as my demands for range and accuracy have increased, I have since limited my mixing with my LR and competition rifle powders to only the same lot purchased in quantities sufficient to last the life of he barrel, if I can. Same goes for primers.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Bronze Member

Any thoughts on mixing 7828 with 7828 sc for example?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

I too have done this. Mixed well & rolled on. No issues over several months. It's worked well for me; as you stated, with the current trends, I'm sure i'll be doing more of it

t