Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

"Blended"/Duplex Progressive Powder Loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

"Blended"/Duplex Progressive Powder Loads

Hornady has surpassed their "Light Magnum" ammo with rocket science called "Superformance" ammo. Obviously, they are getting more total pressure under the peak pressure curve and I have been wanting to do that for years. Is anyone here at LRH aware of any good articles on this for reloaders?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: "Blended"/Duplex Progressive Powder Loads

To the best of my knowledge, there are no such write ups but the basic idea itself is a recurring one.

Blending means mixing powders. Duplex means two powders held in discrete layers under compression, but firing mixes them anyway. Both processes were objects of experimentation six and seven decades ago. Neither survived because neither offered any particular benefits and greatly increased the hazards. There is no way for home experimenters to know what will happen even with small differences in such charges.

Maybe it's best to let Hornady have all that to themselves.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Well , I have before resorted to pulling factory bullets and seating my premium bullets...that 100-200fps would allow 3-8 inches of less barrel and weight to hump over the hill.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there are no such write ups but the basic idea itself is a recurring one.

Blending means mixing powders. Duplex means two powders held in discrete layers under compression, but firing mixes them anyway. Both processes were objects of experimentation six and seven decades ago. Neither survived because neither offered any particular benefits and greatly increased the hazards. There is no way for home experimenters to know what will happen even with small differences in such charges.

Maybe it's best to let Hornady have all that to themselves.
+1 -Very good advice.

Blended or duplex loading is very tricky and can be dangerous.

Most of these proprietary processes use a bonding agent to hold everything in place ( If you
pull the bullet on most of these type loads you will find that they are almost solid and have
to be dug out) and this is unavailable to the consumer/re loader.

The powder is almost impossible to identify and when you weigh it it is most all ways heaver
than any listed charge.

I have purchased some of this ammo and intend to chrono it and see if it out performs my
reloads. If the accuracy is better and the velocity is higher with out pressure then I will use it
instead of loading my own in rifle (A 7/08).

J E CUSTOM