Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Big magnums developing pressure signs as barrel warms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: Big magnums developing pressure signs as barrel warms?

Two thoughts....... One, I agree with the previous post about letting the barrel cool a little between shots. I shoot a 338/378 improved and have seen the same thing to a lesser degree. It really heats the barrel up fast.

Two, I ran into some pretty severe pressure problems by having the bullets seated all the way into the lands, backing off the lands allowed me really increase velocities before I run into pressure issues.

Three, (thought of another thing) This is a long shot, but do you turn necks? I was using unturned necks and the neck portion of the chamber was too tight and not allowing the bullet to release creating a pressure spike. This seemed to get worse as the barrel heated up. I assume from the heat related expansion of the barrel causing the neck to be even tighter as the barrel heated up. Started turning necks and the problem went away.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Big magnums developing pressure signs as barrel warms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Two thoughts....... One, I agree with the previous post about letting the barrel cool a little between shots. I shoot a 338/378 improved and have seen the same thing to a lesser degree. It really heats the barrel up fast.

Two, I ran into some pretty severe pressure problems by having the bullets seated all the way into the lands, backing off the lands allowed me really increase velocities before I run into pressure issues.

Three, (thought of another thing) This is a long shot, but do you turn necks? I was using unturned necks and the neck portion of the chamber was too tight and not allowing the bullet to release creating a pressure spike. This seemed to get worse as the barrel heated up. I assume from the heat related expansion of the barrel causing the neck to be even tighter as the barrel heated up. Started turning necks and the problem went away.
I do turn necks, the chamber neck is .333, loaded rounds go .305-.331. The bullets are seated to touch the lands, I am going to back them off a bit and see if that helps. I will let the barrel cool much longer also.