Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Big magnums developing pressure signs as barrel warms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Big magnums developing pressure signs as barrel warms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine sniper View Post
Gary (from yellow bullet?)

AA8700 is faster than H50BMG. The only slower powders Hodgens lists is US869 and VV 20N29. I am at approx 90-95% density now. I "think" JE might be on to something, the barrel has 85 rounds through it and cleans very easy, but his idea sounds plausible, particularly when I review my date. I will give it as shot and see what happens
Many years back I knew a guy that downloaded a .378 to reduce the recoil. Didn't kill him, but did put him out of business for awhile. Interestingly the the rifle wasn't destroyed, but the barrel and his collar bone was.

Your load is still within the window that the manual says is safe, but my thoughts evolved around the thought that each and every barrel seems to have it's own quirks. Have never used or even been around the H50BG stuff to be honest with you, and everybody I ever knew that did that case used H870 and AA8700. Knowing who you are, and if memory serves me right, it seems that you are shooting without the freebore in the throat. I suppose it's possible that the throat is really foulded with burn powder. So pressure spikes will be a virtual square (in OTW very quickly increase). I've never noticed pressure spikes with fouled barrels, but just accuracey problems. Still I don't shoot that case (I doubt my body could stand much of it), and get all the pain I can stand out that .450 Marlin. I turned 66 the otherday, and just don't heal up as fast as when I was your age!

gary
Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Gary,

This rifle kicks bout like a 308. I have never put it on a scale, but it is over 20 pounds for sure. You are correct, no freebore. Bullets are kissing the lands. I may try backing them off a little.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gary,

This rifle kicks bout like a 308. I have never put it on a scale, but it is over 20 pounds for sure. You are correct, no freebore. Bullets are kissing the lands. I may try backing them off a little.

Thanks,
John
good luck, but be carefull! Any idea whatkind of pressure you should be seeing before things went wrong? The 111 grains of AA8700 is about 59K psi
gary
Old 10-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
good luck, but be carefull! Any idea whatkind of pressure you should be seeing before things went wrong? The 111 grains of AA8700 is about 59K psi
gary
No, it would only be a guess.

I leave Saturday for an elk and deer hunt in Idaho, so no more time for testing. The 30-378 is staying home this year.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, it would only be a guess.

I leave Saturday for an elk and deer hunt in Idaho, so no more time for testing. The 30-378 is staying home this year.
is that the rifle you shot the grizzley with last year? I'll probably head south for a deer hunt next month, and hope to be back in time to do some serious pheasant hunting.

gary
Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
is that the rifle you shot the grizzley with last year? I'll probably head south for a deer hunt next month, and hope to be back in time to do some serious pheasant hunting.

gary
I did not shot a bear last year. I have never hunted with the .30-378, but should next year.

John
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did not shot a bear last year. I have never hunted with the .30-378, but should next year.

John
I'm refering to the one in the picture. Thought you got it a year ago. Remember seeing it on Y.B.
gary