Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

BFR loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Tyler I would use a wide flat point hard cast over a 300 TSX any day of the week and twicew on Sundays.

Thisis the exit in the rib cage of a 6X7 bull Elk with a truncaqted cone flat point that is 78% of the bullets diameter at 950 FPS muzzle velocity

I am holding a 300 Win for size comparison

If you will forget thoses itty bitty flat point bullets that you showed in your picture, then you will see some awesome results. As far as the Coyotte running I have seen the same with a 300 Win, a 223 or 22-50 puts them down faster on average

Use a flat point simular to these

Kirby is giving you excellent advice, if you do not want to take it then that's your decision
Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

TK,

The pic of the bullets you used tells why you had the results you did, basically, very little frontal area on that flat. These are bullets designed for the older 45-70 loads or for longer range shooting.

If you look at the frontal area of the bullets that JWP475 posted, most of those bullets will have twice the frontal area on the meplat as the bullets you were using and the WFN will have even more then that.

At low velocity, two things are key, frontal area and the bullets integrity to resist deformation.

In my testing of these hard cast designs, most of which John included in his picture, the LMN penetrated the deepest on average. The WFN displaced the most tissue of these designs. Also, other things to consider at least in handguns, often the LMN designs will have stability issued at longer range because of their increased nose length. The WFN seldom have this problem because of their shorter length.

At times I have witnessed the LMN and LFN bullets to have a tendency to tumble a bit more often then the WFN. Not a chronic problem but I have seen it. I have never seen a WFN tumble after impact.

My personal favorite is the WFN simply because they work in most firearms because of their shorter length, I have never seen any stability issues at longer range and they displace more tissue then the other designs. Yes, they penetrate SLIGHTLY less then the other designs, thats when you just add 20-30 grains of bullet weight and that makes up for that issue with more momentum on target.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Bronze Member

This what I got back from BFR on whether the Buffalo Bore 45-70 ammo can be used in their pistol. Buffalo Bore says these are meant for lever action rifles, and produce 2300 FPS. From what I read so far, the 10 barrel looses about 400 FPS from rifle loads. I am going to drop BB a note , and ask them what they think.

The BFR 45/70 will handle:
-SAAMI maximum pressure is 30,000 PSI
-Model 1886 Winchester loads
-The #2 loads in most manuals
But do not use loads for the Ruger #1.

I am sorry we do not offer any reloading information since we do not
recommend reloading in any of our products. Any use of reloads
(problems caused by them) null and void the warranty on any MRI product.
However, if you are going to reload we suggest you strictly follow all
safe reloading information in a good up to date reloading manual. If
you need further assistance please contact our Customer Service
Department Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30 CST at 1-763-574-1868. Thank you.