Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Beware cordless phones and digital scales!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Bronze Member

Beware cordless phones and digital scales!

I had something happen yesterday that I wanted to pass on. I was reloading some 7wsm rounds when my brother called. I was using my Lyman 1200 while I was talking to him and I noticed the weight jumping around 0.1-0.2 grains. Reset the zero a couple of times, and then it stopped. (I didn't realize that it stopped when I got off the phone.) I picked up the phone to make a call (the scale was set to 0), and as soon as I turned on the phone, the scale started reading the same 0.1-0.2 from zero! That's when I figured it out. I tried it several times and whenever I turned on the phone, the scale would start jumping around. I'm not sure how many rounds I loaded while talking (I figure 4-6) and I'm not sure which ones they were, but the amount of shifting wouldn't make them dangerous, but might make them less accurate. Anyway, keep off the phone if you are measuring powder with digital scale!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: Beware cordless phones and digital scales!

wow! thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

It just hit me!! I shot some rounds yesterday and my groups were a touch bigger (up& down), and my velocities were 50-70 fps apart on a 5 shot group. Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I remembered, I got a phone call out in the reloading room when I was loading up those rounds and I never stopped. I know that this has to be the problem now that you mentioned it. I have never had that kind of velocity spread or group size from this load combo.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiredude View Post
It just hit me!! I shot some rounds yesterday and my groups were a touch bigger (up& down), and my velocities were 50-70 fps apart on a 5 shot group. Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I remembered, I got a phone call out in the reloading room when I was loading up those rounds and I never stopped. I know that this has to be the problem now that you mentioned it. I have never had that kind of velocity spread or group size from this load combo.

Do you also use the Lyman? I'll do some testing with my Chargemaster (I have 3 different cordless phones I can test with).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

I use a Lyman 1500 XP.

You know I have also heard rumors about some digital scales not working properly when used close to any flourescent lighting. Don't know if there is any truth to this, but I have heard it more than once.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiredude View Post
I use a Lyman 1500 XP.

You know I have also heard rumors about some digital scales not working properly when used close to any flourescent lighting. Don't know if there is any truth to this, but I have heard it more than once.

I have fluorescent lighting across my entire reloading bench. It never affected my old electronic scale (pact, sold it after buying my Chargemaster), nor the Chargemaster.

After I let the scale warm up, I calibrate it, then I weigh several small items that I've weighed repeatedly and have written their weights on them with a sharpie marker. This is an easy way to gaurantee repeatability. I've never noticed even .1gr difference in any of the items since the scale was new.

My fluorescent lighting has industrial ballasts, so maybe they are shielded better?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives