Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Better brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Better brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
None of the above----Lapua, Norma and RWS are in a different world than the ones you mentioned.
Absolutely true.

But among the US manufacturers, Winchester seems more consistent, and just a tad thicker.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Since no one has addressed the Hornady brass, I'll chime in. Whenever I have tried to fireform Hornady brass, it has split. This tells me it is too brittle. I'm not saying it won't work for normal resizing, but this is a redflag to me....Rich
Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Since no one has addressed the Hornady brass, I'll chime in. Whenever I have tried to fireform Hornady brass, it has split. This tells me it is too brittle. I'm not saying it won't work for normal resizing, but this is a redflag to me....Rich
Rich, have you tried annealing before fireforming?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
None of the above----Lapua, Norma and RWS are in a different world than the ones you mentioned. Depends also if the three above make what you need-----when I am building a new gun always make sure the parent case is avail in one of those 3.
I agree with Boss, although some might put RWS ahead of Norma. In the case of the 375 Ruger, Hornady is the only choice, but I really like the case design so I went with it for a wildcat. Also heard a rumor that their 375 Ruger brass is fairly descent stuff... we will see .

Back to the OP I have used Rem, Fed and Winchester, mostly for a 7mmRM which I loaded on the warm side, but never for more than 5 reloadings so far. A couple of necks starting to split here and there, but primer pockets have held up OK. I couldn't really tell you which was best, but from a lot of threads I've followed, most put Fed at the bottom of the list with the other two about split on opinion, maybe a slight edge for Winchester. I'm using Winchester for my 25-06, but haven't pushed it very far yet. The Rem 300 RUM brass seems like good stuff.

-Mark
Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Rich, have you tried annealing before fireforming?
No, but I did suggest that to someone else. I've just decided there are better options.....Rich