Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best way to test loads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Best way to test loads?

Abinok can you email it to me also. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

how about a copy for me as wekk, thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

The way I do it is pick a perticular bullet and weight you want to shoot at X fps that is achievable of course.

Get a measurement of the ogive to back of case and start with 10k jump. This is a good starting point and in some rifles it's perfect and in some they may want more or less jump. It also will give pressure signs when tipping the jug to much.

I also like to do this part when it's hot and you are sweating like a whore waiting her turn in line for confession. Load 2 identical rounds and run thru the chrony. What you are looking for is velocity consistancy within 15fps or less and pressure signs. Continue loading and shooting 2 rounds till either you reach your velocity you want, or pressure makes you halt.

Once this is established and you have a load that has consistant 15fps or less, load 3 identical rounds and start your seating depth variations. 3 at 10k then 3 at 15k and so on in 5k increments and you will hit a node. Usually there is 2.

The ladder test in my opinion is that you are tuning the harmonics by powder charge with a certain oacl. Problem with this is that I do not want to settle for what the powder dictates. You might be able to get more velocity and the load be more efficient.

The way I was explaining above is I'm getting all I can out of the load with that bullet I can and I will tune the harmonics with bullet seating.

Just the way I do it and it's always worked for me.
Tim
Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

gentlemen, round 2 emails sent.