Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best way to sort brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best way to sort brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Are these stated groups the largest you've produced?

How many shots per group?

I think a 2.685 inch group at 1000 is .2685 MOA. I also think a .641 MOA group at 1000 yards is 6.41 inches extreme spread.
This is the case if you are using IPHY, or "Shooters MOA". At 100 yards 1 MOA is equal to 1.047". If the group measures 6.41" at 1000 yards it is actually 6.12 MOA. Less than a half inch difference at 1000 yards, but since the post is carrying measurements to more than two decimal points, thought it should be mentioned. This conversion becomes more relevant if you are using a MOA scope and considering inches when adjusting for long range shooting.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
which of the below sets of five 3-shot groups at 1000 yards is the most accurate:

Group set A, ranges from 1 inch to 6 inches.

Group set B, ranges from 2 inch to 5 inches.
Grouping undefined from center is a matter of 'precision', and not 'accuracy'.
Accuracy is not a shooting marathon, but is defined with a single shots, w/resp to center of mark.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
If the group measures 6.41" at 1000 yards it is actually 6.12 MOA. Less than a half inch difference at 1000 yards, but since the post is carrying measurements to more than two decimal points, thought it should be mentioned. This conversion becomes more relevant if you are using a MOA scope and considering inches when adjusting for long range shooting.
You got that right, as the error at 1kyd would be .47" per IPHY dialed erroneously with a true MOA scope.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diderr View Post
I know volume sorting is better than just weight sorting, but whats the best way to do it? Is it better to do it with water or just a really fine powder like H414? or is weight sorting the way to go?
Thanks
I am a new member - the reason for my late reply to this post
I want clarity on this issue, ie. case volume and case weight. My limited knowledge of Physics tells me that if you have two cases, A and B, with the same outside dimensions and made from the same alloy, and the weight of A=weight of B, the volume of A=volume of B.
If this is true, it is only necessary to sort a batch of cases by weight and not by volume.
Is there anybody with more knowledge about this who can sceintifically confirm my view?
Please pardon my English. It is nog my mother toung.

Regards
Pieter Willem Vorster
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

I know of several National champions and record setters in rifle competition who only weigh cases to 1/4 grain, 1/2 grain or even a 1 grain spread and are totally satisfied with their method.

Some folks feel case capacity is best, but the case has to have virtually the exact same outside dimension as the chamber does to get reliable numbers. Any out of round the case has will effect its internal capacity.

I weigh cases to a 1 grain spread and have gotten as good of accuracy as anybody at the longer ranges.

Those who disagree will post their opposing points of view.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Accuracy is not a shooting marathon, but is defined with a single shots, w/resp to center of mark.
Do you mean calculating the mean radius from a calculated group center of all fired shots?

Or is it the mean radii of all shot holes from the center of the target you're shooting at?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Bart B, thanks for responding, but my question is not answered.

Regards.