Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best type of scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best type of scale?

I like my balance beam scale for trickling rifle loads, but I use the digital to setup a powder dump for pistol rounds and to weigh bullets and cases.

Those with the RCBS Chargemaster, have you checked a number of charges against a good balance beam? How did it do?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
I like my balance beam scale for trickling rifle loads, but I use the digital to setup a powder dump for pistol rounds and to weigh bullets and cases.

Those with the RCBS Chargemaster, have you checked a number of charges against a good balance beam? How did it do?
One more comment on this question:

I bought my Ohas 1010 beam scale in 1966 and it still is dead on .

I also have owned a pact, RCBS Charge master ,a Lyman and a cabelas(Dont know
who makes it) and they have all went south after a few years.

I still use the electronic scales the most but rely on my beam scale as the final word
On accuracy loads and to test the electronic scales.

I have only known of 1 beam scale that went out of true and have have seen many
electronic go bad.

So I will continue to use both.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM
Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the input.

I think I will replace my electonic w/ a beam this time.

Steve
Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Best type? Electronics are fast, mechanical are durable. Both are just as accurate as the weights (standards) used to calibrate them. I am a scale technician by trade. I've used Denver, Ohaus, Sartorious and several other top name commercial units. I have three electronic Ohaus scales setting in my reloading room now weghing dust! I bought a RCBS ChargeMaster 6 months ago and I will never go back to the small reloading balance beam scales. The freedom the ChargeMaster allows you is stupendious compared to the mechanical ones! Accurate? I'm shooing sub .5" groups with all my factory rifles! JohnnyK
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

I started reloading shotgun, and purchased a 10-10. A while later, I had the opportunity to purchase a Dillon D-Terminator scale. That has worked flawlessly for the past 14 or so years. I recently purchased a CM 1500, and unless I break out the shotgun reloader, it will be used to check the CM 1500. As others have said, it's FAST!

I usually start out with simple stuff, that's why I started out with a progressive shotgun reloading press (P-W).;)
Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

"...digital scales vs beam scales? Is one better than the other?"

Not really, they are just different and each has some (small) advantages or the other.

Beam scales are "better" for weighting powder charges while using a trickler. They follow the add powder accurately and immediately. Magnetically damped scales, as ALL modern ones are, don't swing much before they stop and, contrary to some beliefs, the magnets have NO impact on the scales accuracy or sensitivity. Beams shine when weighing a lot of things near the same weight, at least within +- .5 gr. Down side, to some extent, is that you must keep it dust and dirt free and be careful not to knock the beam weights out of position. And it's nice to have a scale up near eye level to make reading it easy, many try to use them on low bench tops and cuss the parallex effect, but that's their own fault!

Digital scales are better for weighting items with variations that exceed +- .5 gr., such as when seperating cases or cast bullets. They are easy to read no matter where they are placed. Down side is they tend to drift calibration with warm-up and must be zeroed often. They are susceptible to power line changes. The weight detector is somewhat delicate and can be damaged if objects are dropped on it. Digitals also have a slight time lag in the read-out si they often "jump" a few tenths of a gr. at a time when trickling charges.

Both types are very susceptible to air currents, all sensitive things are.

My position is, buy a beam scale for weighting powder and get a digital if you weight select a LOT of brass or cast bullets.

Digital powder dispensing systems are a whole different, and expensive, topic.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Buy a good used 10-10 on Ebay for around $40. You will like it and need it at times.

I have had all the digitals and as said before they go south. Hopefully you can catch it before you shoot the loads.

I have denver instruments now that measures to .o1 gr. With a Harrels measure I can throw, weigh and fine drop finals before the other $300 and under can drop a charge that might be on and might be off.

BH