Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Best Press For Precision Shooting? (Single Stage vs. Turret)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Re: Best Press For Precision Shooting? (Single Stage vs. Turret)

Hi Bart,
Maybe i should explain that by accurate, i meant accurately loaded ( inline, concentric etc ), rather then accurate shooting.
I take a lot of notice of what the benchresters are doing regarding their handloading techniques ( i shot UK Benchrest for 2 seasons) and try to integrate them into my own habdloading program.
I think its unfair to presume that i take all of my ques from the BR community, that would be a pretty blinkered outlook.
I have been handloading now for 23 years, for pistol, precision, Benchrest, BPCR and now purely because i enjoy it.
I like to think that i have picked up tips from all forms of handloading and combine the best ideas in how i put together my ammo today.

Ian
Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe i should explain that by accurate, i meant accurately loaded ( inline, concentric etc ), rather then accurate shooting. I take a lot of notice of what the benchresters are doing regarding their handloading techniques ( i shot UK Benchrest for 2 seasons) and try to integrate them into my own habdloading program. I think its unfair to presume that i take all of my ques from the BR community, that would be a pretty blinkered outlook.

[/ QUOTE ]Ian, thanks for clarifying your "accurate" issue. It's been my experience that proper use of conventional presses and dies will make ammo to the same standards of uniformity as the hand ones used by many benchresters. The only exception is to not use an expander ball in the sizing dies but have their neck sizing part a couple thousandths of an inch smaller than loaded round neck diameter.

Having measured many cases reloaded by both benchrest hand tools and conventional ones, I've found equal uniformity of shape and alignment is equal. The only difference I've seen here in the USA is long range competitors weigh powder charges to smaller tolerances than what short range benchresters do by metering them, but that doesn't make any significant difference.

I asked about your possibly using the benchrest discipline as a reference as that's the only competitive one in Great Britain that allows handloaded ammo in their meets. Great Britain's National Rifle Association does not allow handloaded nor reloaded ammunition in their fullbore (called highpower in the USA) competition (300 to 1000 yards). One must use issued ammo that typically comes from a military arsenal; Radway Green, for example. For some reason, Great Britain's NRA has never allowed fullbore competitors to make their own ammo; either they don't trust handloaded ammo or think if everyone uses the same ammo (but in any rifle they choose as long as it shoots the 7.62mm NATO round) that will level the playing field and not give any advantage to someone who loads better ammo or uses a better cartridge or bullet than someone else.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

Hi Bart,
You are correct in what you say, it is a rediculous rule, but only applies to the disciplines of TR.....Target Rifle which you would know as "Palma" rather then High Power.
Shooters fire a series of rounds at ranges from 300 to 1000yds in the prone position from highly refined custom single shot bolt rifles utilizing Aperture type sights.
TR was originally "Service Rifle A" but in the 60s became Target Rifle because shooters began experimenting with the modern technology of the time, the NRA in its wisdom decided to cling to tradition and carry on using the current service round as used in SR "A".
A few years ago the prestigious Queens Meeting was almost abandoned because the ministry of defence procured "cheapest" 7.62x51 Nato (Greek) ammo that was issued to the competitors was well below standard.
There were fears that the meeting would not take place, this could not be allowed to happen, it would be as bad as loosing the empire!
Wheels were put in motion and someone high up ordered that a special run of Radway Green (which had been mothballed) sniper grade ammo be manufactured and rushed to the meeting to be shot on the saturday afternoon!

Ian.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Bronze Member

Redding Ultramag Press for me!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

I have a hornady, works just fine. Is kinda annoying when loading for .300 WM have to put the bullet up into the seater die then drop it into the case. A small complaint. I really want a CoAx not sure If I want to spend the 250 bucks on it. Since I neck size with lee does I don't like the cam over "feature" of the Hornaday press.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Silver Member

I use a RCBS Rock Chucker and Redding Turret Press from the 80's. Both gives excellent reliability and accuracy.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter View Post
Most responders will tell you to get the press they use?? (Duh!!) Few will tell you "Don't get the XXX, I have one and it sucks". It's just the way these boards work.

But keep in mind this.

Shell holders are NOT precision devices on purpose - the "standing hight" is standardized so head space will be the same with all dies, but the fit of the rim is deliberatly sloppy so the case will self-align to the die.

So all the hype about the press is nothing - Nada... the case will flop around until it finishes it's trip into the die, and then the precision of the die will determine the precision of the round. You can load great ammo on a dinky press, if the dies are great.

So whether you buy a RCBS Jr. or a 30 pound animal like the C-H Champion, it makes no difference in the accuracy.

The bigger presses will make the work easier because they have longer handles and more leverage.

The T-Presses are handy if you load only one cartridge, and only a few of them... but most loaders soon find that these are not as solid for "big" or magnum cases.

The Bonanza is nice, but impossible to use most bullet pullers with.

The RCBS Ruckchucker is an OK middle sized press, but now that they are made in China, they are off of my personal list.

The Redding large "O" frame is very good.
The C-H Champion is the animal of the bunch at 30 pounds - and it's not cast aluminum, it's solid iron.

Redding and Forster match dies are the best available.

RCBS dies are OK.

Hornady dies are much better than they should be for the price, and are better than RCBS.

The US Palma team loads their 1000 yd ammo on a Dillon 550, so don't let anyone tell you that progressives can't load "serious" ammo.

And I won't tell you which press I use. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
you can pull bullets with the Forster press. Their bullet puller is a bit awkward in that press, but the one from Hornaday would be fairly easy if it works like they say it does. I still prefer to pull bullets with my RCBS Partner, but don't think the Co-Ax won't.

gary