Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

best press for many many rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: best press for many many rounds

was the guy licensed to sell remanufactured ammunition?
gary
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

CO-AX PRESS
Forster Reloading
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

First thing is I would never do it from a liability standpoint unless I lived in a cardboard box on the roadside because you'll loose everything the first time
a round injures a person ot a gun gets damaged.

One reason the price of ammo is so high is the liability insurance premiums manufacturers pay. You can't afford it.

Now on to the press thing. Despite all the recommendations of all the good prsses out there (all good BTW), only the Dillon will churn out a couple hundred finished rounds per hour, only the Dillon, none of the others even if set up as progressives becaus Dillon is a close to an automated reloading press as you can buy without buying a commercial reloading line that you can't afford in the first place.

Actually, the best thing is to forget about it and buy commercial ammo or load for yourself.

You are about to get in over your head and possibly loose evrything y ou own and then some.

Having said all that, I reload for my attorney. I figure it's a safe bet bcause he won't sue me.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
First thing is I would never do it from a liability standpoint unless I lived in a cardboard box on the roadside because you'll loose everything the first time
a round injures a person ot a gun gets damaged.

One reason the price of ammo is so high is the liability insurance premiums manufacturers pay. You can't afford it.

Now on to the press thing. Despite all the recommendations of all the good prsses out there (all good BTW), only the Dillon will churn out a couple hundred finished rounds per hour, only the Dillon, none of the others even if set up as progressives becaus Dillon is a close to an automated reloading press as you can buy without buying a commercial reloading line that you can't afford in the first place.

Actually, the best thing is to forget about it and buy commercial ammo or load for yourself.

You are about to get in over your head and possibly loose evrything y ou own and then some.

Having said all that, I reload for my attorney. I figure it's a safe bet bcause he won't sue me.
I used to buy reloaded revolver rounds off a guy that was licensed to remanufacture ammo years back, and he did a very good job except he loved Unique powder. His loads were always mid loads, but as I said burnt a little dirty. He used several Star presses (hydraulics). But the same guy also had a cast bullet operation that was extremely good. I probably bought several thousand bullets off him as they were always done well (used mostly Lyman molds). Sadly the place was lost in a fire. His 230 grain hardball loads for a 45 were as good as I've ever used by anybody.

The only people I've ever reloaded for are my brother and a couple friends that I knew very well. And with the exception of my brother I really only loaded some stuff good enough to fire form out of. (about a dozen rounds each time to get them some once fired brass to get their dies made). My brother's stuff was accuracey orientated, plus I did resize several hundred cases for him in my Co-Ax (real long strait walled stuff). Might add here that everytime somebody gave me a bunch of reloaded ammo; I promptly broke it down.
gary