Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

best press for 338AX and other large calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: best press for 338AX and other large calibers

I've loaded a couple of hundred rounds of .338-300 (.338 Edge or whatever one wants to call it). Basically it's a .300 RUM necked up to .338. Stuff a 300 grain SMK in the end of the brass and you're good to go (powder and primer too obviously). COAL is (for the round that I just pulled out of the box) is 3.7765" loaded and ready to go bang.

I have two Forster COAX presses. The older style was just a tad too short in the throat of the handle to load .338 Edge rounds. The newer style COAX easily handles the .338-300 round with no modifications or special treatment. I use the Redding dies that Shawn Carlock sends with his rifle and I have had zero problems with necking up or loading. In fact I would rather load .338-300 than a .223 (can't stand those itty bitty bullets and brass but I love to shoot them ).

There are other good presses out there. I have the big green monster (Redding Ultra-mag) but it sits in a corner waiting for bigger bullets to come it's way. I'm pretty happy with the .338 so it'll probably sit a little longer. The Forster will cover all but the big "specialty rounds", like the Cheytek. For those rounds you'll need something a little longer in the throat, more leverage, and possibly need a little beefier construction.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARHEAD1371 View Post
When I step up to the .338/.408 I'll be reloading with one of these. CORBIN PRESS I'm sure other presses will work, but most aren't nearly as tough. Good luck.
+1 He only makes a few a year but they are hard to beat
Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6158 View Post
I've loaded a couple of hundred rounds of .338-300 (.338 Edge or whatever one wants to call it). Basically it's a .300 RUM necked up to .338. Stuff a 300 grain SMK in the end of the brass and you're good to go (powder and primer too obviously). COAL is (for the round that I just pulled out of the box) is 3.7765" loaded and ready to go bang.

I have two Forster COAX presses. The older style was just a tad too short in the throat of the handle to load .338 Edge rounds. The newer style COAX easily handles the .338-300 round with no modifications or special treatment. I use the Redding dies that Shawn Carlock sends with his rifle and I have had zero problems with necking up or loading. In fact I would rather load .338-300 than a .223 (can't stand those itty bitty bullets and brass but I love to shoot them ).

There are other good presses out there. I have the big green monster (Redding Ultra-mag) but it sits in a corner waiting for bigger bullets to come it's way. I'm pretty happy with the .338 so it'll probably sit a little longer. The Forster will cover all but the big "specialty rounds", like the Cheytek. For those rounds you'll need something a little longer in the throat, more leverage, and possibly need a little beefier construction.
power wise the Forster is good enough for the big cases, but as was said before too short. There was talk awhile back about Forster building a press with a longer stroke to do 50 browning cases.
gary
Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

"He had trouble with the press comming loose from it's mounting on an wood bench.'

Gary, I'm getting a logic disconnect trying to understand that statement. Are you suggesting it's the press at fault when the bench can't take the pressures of reloading?

I had that problem with my first bench in '65 brcause I had no idea of what would be needed but I quickly learned and re-enforced the bench. Fourty five years and four benches later, it's never happened again. ??

Anyone wanting a single, unlimited reloading press needs an Ultramag
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"He had trouble with the press comming loose from it's mounting on an wood bench.'

Gary, I'm getting a logic disconnect trying to understand that statement. Are you suggesting it's the press at fault when the bench can't take the pressures of reloading?

I had that problem with my first bench in '65 brcause I had no idea of what would be needed but I quickly learned and re-enforced the bench. Fourty five years and four benches later, it's never happened again. ??

Anyone wanting a single, unlimited reloading press needs an Ultramag
I mount all my presses with a bottom washer plate on the underside of the bench. The RCBS type of press tries to pull itself off the top of the bench under extreme pressure, and by bolting the press to a 1/2" CRS steel plate with a ten gauge bottom plate you stop that problem. My Forster is bolted down to a riser I built out of aluminum I Beam with a plate welded top & bottom. The top plate has steel Keenserts installed for peace of mind, and the bottom plate is held to the bench with 3/8" carriage bolts. I've probably built two dozen setups like the CRS steel ones over the years and that stops all the issues. Always punched a square hole to make the carrieage bolts seat solid.
gary
Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
power wise the Forster is good enough for the big cases, but as was said before too short. There was talk awhile back about Forster building a press with a longer stroke to do 50 browning cases.
gary
I guess it all depends on where you draw the line at big. The OP asked about .338AX rounds, which, as I understand it, is a .338 Lapua Magnum, with a COL around 3.700 - 3.850. I reload .338-300 to a COL of 3.7765" all of the time with the newer style Forster Co-Ax.

That said (I just checked) the nose of a 300 grain bullet extends about 1/8" - 3/16" inside of the seater die AFTER the bullet is seated. I have not found this to be an issue (again, that's after loading a few hundred rounds) but it might bother someone else. I have to admit that the press is pretty much max'd out with the .338 Edge so if the OP is considering anything larger he's going to have to move up.

The older style press absolutely would not work (which is the reason that I bought the Ultramag press. I thought that it took up too much space on my bench but it's a hell of a press).

If I ever redo my reloading area I'll have a bench just for the Ultramag press and I would probably move my .338 reloading process to that. For now, what I do works for me.

.50BMG is way outside the range of the Co-Ax... and I have no doubt that the Co-Ax is too small for the Cheytek rounds.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I mount all my presses with a bottom washer plate on the underside of the bench. The RCBS type of press tries to pull itself off the top of the bench under extreme pressure, and by bolting the press to a 1/2" CRS steel plate with a ten gauge bottom plate you stop that problem. My Forster is bolted down to a riser I built out of aluminum I Beam with a plate welded top & bottom. The top plate has steel Keenserts installed for peace of mind, and the bottom plate is held to the bench with 3/8" carriage bolts. I've probably built two dozen setups like the CRS steel ones over the years and that stops all the issues. Always punched a square hole to make the carrieage bolts seat solid.
gary

^^^ Nice! If I had one complaint about my bench is that the press is not solid enough